Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

how do i make a lamp bought in spain (225-240 volts) to uor

how do i make a lamp bought in spain (225-240 volts) to uor house in the states (220 volts)
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Your question appears to originate from Mexico. Will you be using the lamp in the USA?

Customer:

No, we will be usikng it in Mexico.

Jason :

A lamp that is rated for 225 - 240 volts will work with 220 volts. You just need the plug on the end of the cord to match the outlet it will be plugged in to.

Jason :

And make sure the bulb is rated for the proper voltage.

Customer:

Does the fact that we are using solar panels to generate electricity have any thing to do with the lamp not working? We have already tried it using international adapter.

Jason :

Do you have storage units that collect the power from the solar panels?

Jason :

Do you have a volt meter with two leads and a numeric display?

Customer:

Yes, to both questions

Jason :

Do you have other lamps that DO work when plugged in to the same outlet you're using with the Spanish lamp?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

This sounds like a problem with the new lamp. Can you plug it in and use your volt meter to take a reading in the lamp socket? Do you need instructions on how to take the voltage reading?

Customer:

1. Don't have a volt meter

Jason :

My apologies, I thought you said previously that you do.

Customer:

sorry, I misunderstood....I do not have one

Jason :

Would you be able to obtain a meter, order to continue the troubleshooting process?

Customer:

Possibly, but not today. Once I get it, what do I do?

Jason :

Set it to AC volts, and (very carefully) place one probe on the center tab, in the bottom of the socket, and the other probe on the female threads that the bulb screws into. It's vital not to let the probes touch each other.

Jason :

If you get a 0 reading, try flipping the lamp switch and testing again.

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Jason :

You are most welcome. Once you get the meter, I would be happy to assist you further in the troubleshooting process.

Customer:

ok....i'll be in touch. Thanks again.

Customer:

Adios

Jason :

My pleasure. Have a great day!

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.