spivco
spivco, Electrical Technician
Experience:  I have specialty spph license. Have done electrical troubleshooting for over 15 years.

i need help installing a hunter dig. thermastat from a trane

Customer Question

i need help installing a hunter dig. thermastat from a trane analog
Category: Electrical
Expert:  spivco replied 1 year ago.

spivco :

Hi. I'm Joe and I'll be glad to help you out. Can you tell me what wires went to what terminals on the old thermostat?

spivco :

Also, make sure you have the power off to the furnace to prevent shorting a fuse or transformer

Customer :

Yes sir, just a sec

Customer :

On the Trane w/ 8 wires they are: R-red, T- purple, Not used, O-brown, G-green, Y-Yellow/beige, XZ-black, Not used, B-black

Customer :

AND W-white/beige

spivco :

ok. 1 moment please

Customer :

the back says R, T, O, G, Y, X2, B, W, F

Customer :

K

Customer :

The new one only has 5 and it says, G RC RH Y/O W/B Y1

Customer :

Please help me as we have no a/c here in Texas

Customer :

*right now

spivco :

Do you know if the system you have is a heat pump?

Customer :

yes sir

Customer :

it has one, gas & elec. heat

Customer :

i dont know wth that means

spivco :

This thermostat won't work properly for the heat on your system. I can tell you how to hook it up for now so that you will have some ac

spivco :

Red wire to Rc

spivco :

Brown wire to Y/o

spivco :

Green wire to G

spivco :

Yellow beige wire to y1

Customer :

ok, so we need to buy another therm. for our system?

Customer :

and Great!

Customer :

i have 2 red wires

spivco :

The rest will not be used. They need to be taped up separately so that they don't touch anything else

spivco :

You had the 1 red wire listed as Hooked to R. Put that one to Rc

Customer :

ok, sorry it was 2 black wires

Customer :

ill do the red nowq

Customer :

i have a pink also

spivco :

When you get another thermostat, The white wire will go to W2 or aux. The black wire that went to B will go to C if there is a C terminal on the next thermostat.

spivco :

You will need to get a 2 heat/ 1 cool thermostat. That will take care of all of your heat. Right now, it will run the heat pump, but won't let the backup heat strips come on.

Customer :

ok, i cleaned the wires a bit, they are; OARNGE, RED (RC), BLACK, BLACK, YELLOW, BLUE, GREEN, BEIGE

Customer :

ok, what should i do next

Customer :

and which ones should i tape off

spivco :

Do you have it wired now?

Customer :

not ey

Customer :

yet

Customer :

i labeled the red

spivco :

Green to green

Customer :

with the sticker, sorry dude, i dont know jack about this

Customer :

k

spivco :

No problem

spivco :

Yellow to Y1

Customer :

k

spivco :

And you said a brown wire went to O. Is that the orange wire?

Customer :

there is a distinct dark oarnce/ more so brown wire and a light beige

Customer :

the diagram says brown to O

spivco :

It is normally the orange colored wire that is used for O. Do you remember which one was on that terminal?

Customer :

what should i do now, wire those to the thermostat?

spivco :

Yes. and tape off the others so that they don't touch any wires

Customer :

yessir

spivco :

Thanks. Try that and let me know how it goes

Customer :

ok

Customer :

k

Customer :

dgvzdfg

Customer :

it wont show what or if im typing

spivco :

I'm not sure whats going on with that. sorry

Customer :

what about the little red wire looping from RC to RH

Customer :

Hello

spivco :

leave that in