Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I purchased a 24 vip restroom that is wired for 50a/250v rv/mari

Customer Question

I purchased a 24' vip restroom that is wired for 50a/250v rv/marine style hook up. It came with a marinco adapter that twist locks into the side of the trailer. The plug on it looks like a dryer style electrical cord. There are only 6 breakers inside the panel box being supplied by this power. I need to convert it to be able to run to normal 110v outlets.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The plug that looks like a dryer plug, does it have 3 pins or 4?

Let me know so that we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve, thanks for your help. The plug has 3 pins. Scott
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, just so that I understand, what do these breakers feed? Lights? Receptacles?

Let me know so that we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have pictures, I could email to you if that would help. the 6 breakers are:lights (15), lights (15), outlet (15), wall heater (15), wall heater (20), a/c (20), a/c (20).

I need to be able to hook this up to a normal extension cord to run to an outlet to provide lights and a/c to the unit for use as a rental. Let me know an email address if you'd like the picturs. Thanks!
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

How is your AC and the heaters going to work on 120V?

Also, 50A at 240 is 12.5KW How do you plan to run that on an extension cord?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where I work, we rent these annually. The company we rent from rewired their panel and from where the plug outlet is attached on the exterior wall of mine, there's is just a hole where 4 seperate extension cord types of wires come out (I have the picture to prove it!). We ran our powered extension cords to their wires and it all works. I was hoping to do something like that.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that can be done but there are too many variables here in order for me to help in a timely manner.

I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in.

Hold on.

Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.
Hello Scott, I can help you with your question. Can you take the cover off the breaker panel and tell me what you have inside. How many wires come from the supply cord?
You said there is a twist lock on the side of the trailer where the cord connects, how many wires is this plug?
Are there both single pole and double pole breakers in the panel in the trailer?
Do you have black, white and bare or green wires in this breaker panel for the branch circuits?
I will be out part of the day today but I will check here as soon as I get back late afternoon.
Thank you.