Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Question on mounting unistrut to block way to hang EMT ??

Customer Question

Question on mounting unistrut to block way to hang EMT ?? preferred bolts used and how far apart do I have to support the EMT ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) What is the length of the UniStrut?

2) What is the wall finishing material? Is the wall cinder block, concrete, brick, drywall or wood?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they will be 5 ft lengths going up a cinder block wall. It will have to hold 3 runs of 1 1/2 emt

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

1) For cinder block walls, I prefer to use 4" toggle bolts, 3/8" diameter. You may need to insert a washer onto the toggle bolt head prior to inserting into the Unistrut hole. Often the holes on the Unistrut will be too large for the toggle bolt head.

2) I would recommend using a quantity of (4) four toggles. One near each end and then space the other two accordingly.

3) EMT needs to be supported within 3 ft of any box and supported a maximum of 10 ft from support to support.

4) You will also require the Unistrut pipe clamps to secure the EMT to the Unistrut.

5) Tapcons are another option. These are threaded anchors with a hex head and can be driven into concrete using a drill with a hex head attachment. If using Tapcons, you will need to drill out the hole accordingly and use the correct drill bit. Too large of a hole and the Tapcons will not bite into the concrete. You will also need to use washers if using Tapcons. Tapcons will hold better if secured to the middle portion (solid) of a cinder block. I have used a combo of toggles and Tapcons but I usually use just toggles.

6) When installing the EMT, suggest installing the EMT as much as possible near the center of the Unistrut. Installing it this way will keep the unistrut ends open and available for any future EMT attachment to the unistrut.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: