Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I had just finished some dishes, I hit a wall switch that turns

I had just finished some dishes, I hit a wall switch that turns on my sink disposal unit. It hissed at the switch and did not turn on. I hit the re-set button, checked for a thrown breaker (none). Unplugged and plugged back the cord of the unit. Before that I took a small appliance and plugged it into where the unit was plugged into, no power even with the switch on. The switch no longer hisses, but it seems dead. It never made any type of noise before, what happened?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Most likely, there is a loose connection at the switch. It's not uncommon for lights, or anything else connected to wall switches, to behave this way when a connection in the switch box is loose.

Jason :

The first thing I would do is try to find the breaker that feeds that circuit, and turn it off. Then, pull the switch out of the wall, and examine the connection points of all wires. If the wires are connected to the switch via the small push in holes on the back, I strongly recommend redoing the connections using the screws on the sides.

Customer:

I don't think the switch is bad, I did further investigating with a meter, I think it's the outlet box under the sink. The disposer works when I plug it into an extension cord from another outlet. I will have to get an electrician for this one. Thanks.