Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

connecting a new 50A-125/250v receptacle - the existing range

connecting a new 50A-125/250v receptacle - the existing range has one black, one white and one bare copper wire - the range was hard wired - so, getting a new range I need to install a receptacle - I believe the white is connected to the silver terminal, but does it matter which terminals the black wire and the bare copper wire are connected to?

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The bare copper wire is likely to be the ground wire.

Can you tell me the NEMA type written on the new plug and new socket that you have purchased, for example: 10-50R

Let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have that in front of me - I can attempt to get it from my email, but I hope I don't lose you meanwhile - but maybe this helps meanwhile - the new plug is what Sears delivery team will be bringing to connect - the salesman indicated a three wire outlet was needed - when I disconnected the existing range, which was hard wired, that's when I got confused and decided to find an answer. I'll wait to hear from you before I attempt to find the sales slips in my email file.

Ok, your black and white wires are your 240V. The terminals on the receptacle are likely labeled L1 and L2. It doesn't really matter how you hook these up.

The bare wire is your ground and connects to the G terminal on the receptacle.

That should do it.

Please let me know if you need more help with this.