Matt S
Matt S, Electrical Technician
Experience:  I have 26 years of experience in heavy industrial, commercial & residential electric repair install and design.
72906466

I have a 12 volt worm gear motor and I need to be abel to control

I have a 12 volt worm gear motor and I need to be abel to control it’s speed. I have it hooked up to a PWM control board and when I try to control the speed at low RPM the motor has a jerky motion and sound like it is continuously starting and stoping and quit noisy.

This will not work for me as my project requires as quiet an operation as possible and also a smooth transition of speed and power.

I have looked around and found that using a potentiometer is out of the question due to the high amps. This brings me to Rheostats, or at least I think it does. With that in mind I figured it would be easy to find what I needed, I was wrong.

I can fix, repair, or build most anything I put my mind to but when it comes to electricity I am way out of my league.

I need to know what size of rheostat I need for this job or if there is something better that would be great also. Below is the volt/amp information on this motor.

MOTOR REQUIREMENTS:

VOLTAGE - 12DC I am using a standard 12 volt car battery as a power source.
AMPS - 3.0 at no load.
AMPS - 6.0 at continuous operation.
AMPS - Momentary for peak operation or starting under load.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. What is the make/model of the worm gear motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased the motor from "Surplus Center" .

The make is: STATURE ELECTRIC

Model: RA-AFSL-30AN-35

It is a right angle gear motor.

FYI: if you are going to go to their site (Surplus Center) the number they have for that item is 5-1649

Expert:  Matt S replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX see if i can help you. What you need is a DC speed control rated for your application Which would be 6 amps for continuous operation at 12 volts. I found one at Graingers here is the link http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DART-CONTROLS-Variable-DC-Speed-Control-3VU56?Pid=search Dayton also makes DC speed controls and so does Warner. You just need a basic model. I found some older models that you can plug into 120 volt outlet and they control 12 volt output via a manual knob. Does this help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not even in the ball park.. I have already found Granger and others with the same equipment you mentioned. It has to be useable as i said from my power source - 12 volt battery. I already have a PWM that doesn't do the job, thats why I asked about information on a Rheostat.

Please review the information I originally sent, hope to hear from you with info necessary.

Expert:  Matt S replied 1 year ago.
I just got back in town and got your message. Sorry for the delay. Ok let me do a search and find you a variac or rheostat that might work. I will get back to you no later than tomorrow.
Expert:  Matt S replied 1 year ago.
I did some more research and a standard rheostat when used would cut down the voltage which in turn would cause the motor to draw more power which in turn would cause excess heat thus eventually overheating your motor. The best way is to use what you have or what I listed for you. If that doesn't help try calling the tech service line for the unit you have and see if there is something you can do different to keep it from being choppy. I could make a unit that would work for you but it is not a standard type product and not UL listed so I can't offer that option. Hope this helps.
Matt S, Electrical Technician
Experience: I have 26 years of experience in heavy industrial, commercial & residential electric repair install and design.