Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

I have balck, white, red and green from the ceiling---i put

I have balck, white, red and green from the ceiling---i put white to white, black to black and green to green to the new ceiling fan,but what do I do with the RED wire from the ceiling?? There is no red or blue wire on the fan I am trying to install.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Try using the red to the black fan wire and cap the house black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok--hang on a minute OK?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still does not work---this is a remote controlled fan. What happens if i connect the red and black from the ceiling to the black from the fan?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Let me ask if the wall switches are on? Usually the black and red are switched. Also they can't be on a dimmer. Let me know about the switches. No you can't connect to the 2 wires. Check the dip switches to make sure they match and then check to see if the batteries are installed correctly in the hand remote.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wall switch on, battery rechecked in correctly, not on a dimmer. The original fan had a blue wire that the red from the ceiling was connected to. This new fan has a light, as did the old fan, but the new fan has plug-in type connections and no blue wire to attach to any ceiling wire. The ceiling red wire was attached to the old fan blue wire.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
As described the red is capped and the connections are to the black and white. Check your connections. Generally I suggest stripping the fan wires longer to make for a better connection at the ceiling. The stranded wire should lead the solid into the wirenut, otherwise they slip and don't make a connection.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

restripped, and recapped black to black---works now---what a ditz over here! Thasnks!