Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am an architect and am planning renovations in a house in

I am an architect and am planning renovations in a house in Massachusetts. There are two existing electrical panel boxes each 14.5" wide right next to each other. There is a perpendicular wall tight to the right of the right pane. How much space to the left should be left for work space? I have read 3' width in front of a panel, but also heard that you need 24" to one side of the panel for work space. Can you help clear this up for me? Any help is much appreciated. Geoff White ([email protected] [email protected]).

The question I need a direct answer to is: how close to the left panel box can I place a perpendicular wall?

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You need a space 30 inches wide - left to right and space 36 inches deep in front of the panels. The width measurement can be taken from either side and includes the panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike.

I have a follow-up question: is the 30" wide include the space in front of the two panels? (each panel is 14.5" wide and there is a 2.5" space between the panels for a total of 31.5").

And a follow-up request: can you give me some reference to a code section which governs this question so I have regulation to show the electrical inspector to back up my design based on your advice?

Thanks Mike, I look forward to hearing from you.

Geoff

The combination of the space of the 3 panels is sufficient for the required space to work on them. Art 110.26
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great help Mike.

"Article 110.26" is from what code?

2011 National Electrical Code. Hasn't changed in years.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here