Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

what are the ground wire requirements for my service panel?

what are the ground wire requirements for my service panel? I want to replace the wire affixed to my water pipe and drive in some rods outside. My panel is very close to my drop outside (in the back yard) should the ground wire be a certain distance away (or length) from both? I need two rods 5 ft. apart and one continuious #4 copper wire correct? Anything else I should know?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Is this a 200Amp panel we are talking about?

Sparky :

If yes #4 is good for your water pipe. Only number 6 is required to the ground rods, and the ground rods have to be a minimum of 6' away from one another. The first one can be as close to your panel as you want.

Sparky :

Make sure you use direct burial type of ground clamp.

Customer:

Know I only have a 60amp fuse panel now. But a friend is going to help me install a new 100amp box.

Sparky :

So, is this a sub panel?

Customer:

can I get those "direct burial clamps" from Home Depot?

Sparky :

Yes they are in home depot.

Customer:

no, main panel, small house

Sparky :

Just a sec please.

Sparky :

For 100 amp your wire only needs to be a #8 for your ground wire to both the ground rods, and your water pipe.

Sparky :

Copper

Customer:

Id like to get rid of the of the wire to the pipe because I have recently switched to pex water pipes and want to take out the old pipe not being used, as well,

Customer:

with the new ground rods the ground to the pipes are not neccessay correct?

Customer:

How about the wire size from the meter to the new box?

Sparky :

If your main water line coming to the house is metal, you need to connect it to the water line where it comes in to the house, or within 5' of where it goes into the house.

Sparky :

How far is the meter from the panel?

Customer:

Yes the main suply is metal but switches to plastic within 3 ft. of the meter, in all I have less then 5 ft. of active metal pipe.

Customer:

the elec meter is within 10 ft. of panel

Sparky :

Yes it still needs to be grounded. For your wire to the panel you need #4's

Customer:

ok great

Customer:

so the ground wire has to be one continuios wire from water main to elec panel to rods?

Sparky :

That all depends on your inspector. I have been in some cities where it needs to be continuous, and i have been in some cities that are ok with coming out of the panel with 1 wire for the ground rods, and 1 wire for the water pipe. So that is something you may want to ask your authority having jurisdiction.

Customer:

Id rathe not talk with city, I have done a lot of work to the house without permits. to be safe I should just run one wire right. does the order matter, should it go from box to water main then to rods or can I start at the water main?

Sparky :

You can start where you like.

Sparky :

Don't forget to rate my service

Customer:

O, i guess if it is continuous it has to start at the box, my box is in the back of the house and water main in the front so can I put the grounding rods in the front also

Customer:

I will no problem

Sparky :

Yes you can just make sure they are a minimum of 6' apart

Customer:

ok great does the length of the ground wire effect the gauge?

Sparky :

No

Customer:

great, any specs on the whole through the house, just use some putty or what?

Sparky :

That's fine. Foam, silicone.

Customer:

and how about the staples, I dont have to go through the joists do I ?

Sparky :

No staples are fine

Customer:

any other helpfull hints or points I may have missed?

Sparky :

No you should have all the info you need

Customer:

the elec co. is responsible for the drop wire correct?

Sparky :

Correct.

Customer:

thanks very much, have a blessed day

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. Thank you for the bonus

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/