Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain

I have a a light fixter that is 110 v. Blac wire, white wire

Customer Question

I have a a light fixter that is 110 v. Blac wire, white wire and ground. When connected not worki.g but when tested I have power to the wires. The bulbs are the two probe type that you insert and twist. I also have power to the actual bulb socket that lights up my cheap tester at 120 v. I am installing this fixture because I was replacing a bulb in the old one and when I turned the bulb I heard a pop and the fixture went out. The switch is a 2 button type with a dimmer slide.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The lamps described are CFL and I would suggest that you have a conflict with the dimmer. CFL's aren't opposed to be on a dimmer. The lamps more than likely have failed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it has worked for 6 years and i do think now the dimmer is the issue. the fiixture is a 4 head adjustable track light that takes the GU10 bulbs. the 2 prong insert and twist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

Hello .. Rich here

what was the original issue with the lights that led you to seek help ?

please confirm that you are using GU10 LED bulbs that are designated as dimmable

thanks ..

Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.
What kind of tester did you use .. does it use two wires .. or just signals when you get close to power ??