Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

We have an interesting problem. Power to a large section of

Customer Question

We have an interesting problem. Power to a large section of the house has gone off and come on again for no apparent reason a couple of times. No breakers are tripped. Strangely, we discovered that turning the dryer on makes the rest of the power come back on, but in an under-voltage condition (lights come on, but dim). Any thoughts?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I'm at my brother-in-law's place and didn't know I was going to be dealing with this kind of stuff, so I brought no tools. He doesn't have a tester.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

In order to locate the problem you'll need a tester. You either have a bad connection on a phase conductor, bad breaker or a bad neutral connection. The issue may be in the service equipment or ahead of the service on the utility's distribution. Pick up a tester and we can pinpoint the problem and correct it when found.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Below is the required testing,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We tried replacing the breaker that we thought might be faulty even though it had not tripped. When we flipped the main breaker back on, we got some sparking from the neutral bus bar. Does that info help isolate the problem?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Arcing is an indication of bad connection. Check where you noticed the arcing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This all started when we replaced an outlet that had it's "hot" slot burned/scorched. Could that have resulted from a bad connection on the neutral bar? We're trying to figure out cause/effect.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Bad neutral connection usually have low and hihig voltage spikes and could damage anything electronic. Unplug electronics untill corrected.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
typo = high voltage