Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

The house is approx. 35 yrs. old. I just replaced a ceiling

The house is approx. 35 yrs. old. I just replaced a ceiling fan, which was in working condition, with a Hunter brand ceiling fan/light fixture. I connected the wires as directed for a single wall switch. From the ceiling receptacle there were the usual three wires. White, black and bare copper ground wire. As directed I connected the wires from the fixture to the ceiling receptacle...white to white, black and black/white to black and ground to ground. When I turned the power from the main back on I discovered the fan did not work but the light did. Additionally the wall switch no longer turned the power on or off to the fixture. The light would turn on and off only by the pull chain. I replaced the wall switch with a new one thinking that might be the problem, but it had no effect. When replacing the wall switch I expected to find a white wire and a black wire attached to the terminals, but instead there was a black wire and a red wire attached. There were two white wires spliced together with a wire nut tucked in behind the switch, but not attached to the switch. The ground wire was also unattched to the switch.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Do you have a voltage meter? Were there any other wires in the ceiling box, besides the black white and copper?

Customer:

Hello Rick, I don't have a voltage meter and box had only the tree

Customer:

sorry. there were only the three wires

Sparky :

The only way we can figure out what is going on in this situation is if you get a voltage meter, so we could troubleshoot the situation. The white wires being wire nutted together is normal. Have you changed out any receptacles recently, or had any other electrical work done?

Customer:

no and no

Sparky :

If you can get a voltage meter or borrow one, that would be great. You can come back and log in to your account. Go to your questions and just respond to this post and we can continue. You want to have something that gives a actual voltage, so we know what we have.

Customer:

I will try to find one. How do I log back in? Acct. #, etc.

Sparky :

On the new fan, did you have a blue wire as well? Where did you connect it to the wires from the ceiling?

Sparky :

Or did you have a black, a black with white stripe?

Sparky :

As far as account #, I do not have access to that. You would need to contact customer service. All I have is you customer name which is hvhgtqvu

Sparky :

When you respond back I will receive a email letting me know you have responded and I will get back to you as soon as I can. From a fan, you should have a few wires one black for power to the fan, one that is either black with a white stripe, or blue for the light, white for your neutral, and green, or greens for the ground.

Customer:

No blue wire, just the white, black, black with white stripe and ground.

Sparky :

Did the fan come with a remote control?

Customer:

no.

Customer:

I have located a multimeter, but the situation is complicated by the location of the house which is approx. 1 hr. away from where I am located. At the house location I will not have the capability to communicate with you by computer.

Sparky :

There are a few scenarios that may happen. I am in the field right now, but when I get back to the office I can go into a step by step process. However I will not be back until the afternoon some time. If you would like to get advice from another expert,I can opt out, or off you would like to wait, that is fine also. Let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 'til you return.

Sparky :

Thank you

Sparky :

Sorry it's taken so long. I still am not back to the office yet, but I got a little time. First thing you want to do is remove the switch. Test from your ground wire to one screw at a time. You should have power 120 volts to one terminal if the switch when the switch is off and to both terminals when the switch is on. Turn the switch off after you have verified this. Test the wires from ground to black in ceiling. If there is a red there test from ground to red as will. To find which one is controlled by the switch you will know by testing while it is of, you should have no power, when the switch is on you should have power. Make sure to treat from ground to hot, and neutral to hot as well.

Sparky :

Let me know what happens. If this helps you, great. If not, let me know your findings and we may continue.

Customer:

Thank you. I wont be able to try your advice until tomorrow, but I will follow up with you.

Sparky :

Sounds good. I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you.

Sparky :

Hello. What were your finding?

Sparky :

Was you problem resolved?

Customer:

Hello Rick, Because of a conflicting schedule I was unable to get back to the house yesterday. I will make it back tomorrow, but will omly be able to check the wall switch. Sunday afternoon when I have someone to help me I'll be able to drop the ceiling fan and check that wiring.

Sparky :

Sounds good. I'm usually on most of the weekend as well. Hear from you soon. Thank you.

Customer:

Rick, I apologize for leaving you hanging. Since I don't have anyone to physically to help me dropping the light/fan (it's a big one) and reattaching it plus my inability to stay in real time communication with you while I'm working on it I've decided to dump it on an electrician. Thank you for your help.

Sparky :

I saw you tried to rate my answer but couldn't. You can go ahead now. thank you

Rick, Master Electrician
Experience: 10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you couldn't rate earlier. You can come back and rate now. If the system will not let you, you can just write on your response how my service was for you. Thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/