Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
18324022

I have a building with three phase power and six office units.

Customer Question

I have a building with three phase power and six office units. Two questions: is it possible to use a meter pack which has six breakers (one for each service) rather than a stack with a main disconnect? And what's the most economical way to buy the meter pack? Ie. new wires are being run to the pole so, as an example, I could get more wires pulled if a 2 3 meter stacks are significantly cheaper than one six meter stack. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Kevin :

Hi, and welcome to JA!!

Kevin :

Yes. What you are looking for is a 6 gang 3 phase meter. There is a meter and breaker for each unit

Kevin :

The bad news is, there is no economical way to buy it. They are pretty expensive and almost always have to be ordered. I would start here:

Kevin :

shopkendallelectric.com

Kevin :

If you are willing to use a used unit

Kevin :

I can send you a link to an electrical salvage company

Customer : I don't see any at Kendall that are 3 phase, 6 gang.
Kevin :

ok, let me look around a bit

Kevin :

are you needing 100 or 200 amp, and are you ok with something used?

Kevin :

I am having a hard time finding anything as well. If a 6 gang 3 phase model can be found, it would almost definitely be a special order, and very expensive. If space is not much of an issue, I think the way to go is to put a long wire trough at the bottom, with a disconnect and meter above for each unit.