Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am trying to add an outlet in my basement ceiling for a theatre

I am trying to add an outlet in my basement ceiling for a theatre projector. So I found many electrical cables in the ceiling. I picked one lose cable that is not directly connected to a switch. In other words, I made sure there is electricity running through it when any of the switches are turned off. I cut this cable. I found that it has 4 wires in it. Black, white, red and ground. Only the red one is hot. Now, I need some help connecting the outlet. I already have all the tools. Please email me a sketch showing which ones go where. My Email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I am very handy.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hi Mark. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

I can't email you a sketch, per site regulations, but I can post one here. It will take me about 10 minutes or so to get it made up and posted. Will that work for you?

Customer:

sure

Jason :

Very good. I have already started the sketch. I should be able to get it posted shortly. Will you be standing by?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

OK, sounds good.

Jason :

OK, it's done. Just need to post it.

Customer:

ok

Jason :

I see that I forgot to show the wire nut for the white wires. Sorry about that.

Customer:

Let me know when done

Jason :

Are you not able to view the sketch?

Customer:

I thought that you were going to make changes

Customer:

OK, I know where the white wire nut goes. No need to change it.

Jason :

Just the wire nut for the white wires. I just popped it in. I can re-post the sketch if you like.

Customer:

No , I got it

Jason :

OK, does it look like something that will be easy for you to follow?

Customer:

Looks great. I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

Jason :

No problem. Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Customer:

Are you sure the white one goes to the outlet? why not the black?

Jason :

The black wasn't hot, if I recall your original post. The white is a neutral, and every outlet needs a neutral to work.

Jason :

Black may be a switched hot, but you wouldn't want that for an outlet that you want to be constantly live.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.