Tommy Tesla
Tommy Tesla, Electrical Technician
Experience:  E-1 Master Electrician. Specializing in Commercial ,Industrial, and Residential Wiring Applications.

Backup Generator options... Im quite comfortable with the

Backup Generator options... I'm quite comfortable with the sizing and technical aspects of installing a backup generator, but have never done a permanent install with an automatic switch. I'm looking for some of your hands-on experience with the different brands / options. Please give me your opinion on the different brands including the generator itself as well as the transfer switch options. Is load management for a residential setup a "mature" technology? I always tend to over-power a situation to avoid the consequences to the generator and connected loads. If load balancing / management is mature, maybe I could install a smaller unit!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 11 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. I can tell you from experience the only brands i have worked with are generac and Kohler. The best in my opinion. If money is not an issue then I would use an Automatic transfer switch for sure. As far as load management what type of generator are you looking to install?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Those are the two brands I had looked at online, but didn't have any basis to differentiate between them, or to evaluate the effectiveness of their load management technologies.

I am preparing to install an automatic-transfer natural gas generator for an 1800 sq ft two-story residence (with basement) that primarily needs to guarantee that the two 3/4 HP sump pumps can operate. However, I'm sizing to also power the well, Nat Gas furnace, refrigerator, central A/C, and assorted other loads.

Again, the main concern is preserving the property in the event of power failure, comfort comes second. If the load management technology is good enough, the "comfort loads" could be prioritized to run only when the sump pumps and heat have all the electricity they require.

Again, this is my first time installing an automatic switch with a stationary generator.

Okay, you seem to be very knowledgeable of electrical installations. I prefer the Generac over the Kohler....just personal. My brother is an electrician as well and he prefers Kohler. Sibling rivalry maybe...not sure. Both are awesome. My professional opinion on Load technology is that it is great....would you be able to supply me with the make and model and I can take a look at it for you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm less concerned with specific model as which vendor to go with... I'm looking for air-cooled not liquid, and of course reliability. Bouncing around the internet I can find opinions either way... When you and your brother debate the issue, what are the pros and cons of those two brands? What has you sold on Generac? What makes him like Kohler better?

I like Generac for the simplicity of parts. He likes Kohler for customer service support. Kohler has a better consumer support base and Generac sells more generators and lags in the technical support aspect. Really it's like the Ford/Chevy argument.....Both are awesome. Kohler is slightly more reliable than Generac. I stress slightly.
Tommy Tesla, Electrical Technician
Experience: E-1 Master Electrician. Specializing in Commercial ,Industrial, and Residential Wiring Applications.