Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Flexible appliance cords are considered adequately protected

Flexible appliance cords are considered adequately protected if the circuit over - current device is set at a maximum value of how many amps? A. 15 B. 20. C. 30 D. 40 Code?

Jason :

OK, there are lots of codes about this. Do you have a list of possible answers?

Jason :

Sorry, getting late. I see that the list is in the question.

Jason :

Again, it seems they leave out pertinent information though.

Customer:

I wasthinking 30 depending on the wire gage. Code 240.5 . this one had nothing that looked pertinent to me..guessing at this point.

Jason :

We would really need to know what the load is to accurately answer this question.

Jason :

Most of the codes say to refer to appliance nameplate.

Customer:

which would have the maximum value of amps on it ? (the nameplate)

Jason :

Yes, exactly.

Jason :

The most relevant code in 240.5 is 240.5(B)(1), where it talks about Supply Cord of Listed Appliance or Portable Lamps. It says to refer to appliance requirements.

Customer:

Got it. I'll look for something that will help me with that. At least it gves me a direction to head to. Thanks again for the help, got one more night to tighten the answers up. Appreciate the help!! Have a good night. I'll keep your name for future questions.

Jason :

Sounds good, though I don't feel like I helped much on this one. But I am definitely hoping for an opportunity to work with you again.

Customer:

No, it helped knowing I was going in the right direction. Sometimes we question ourselves when the answer isn't clear as day. Got your name down. Hoping I won't need any more help, but if I do, it's all yours!