Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Would it be approved to install a room a/c in a commercial

Would it be approved to install a room a/c in a commercial automotive repair shop if it is three and one half feet above the floor?

Jason :

Room air conditioners are regulated by section 440 of the NEC. I'm referencing it now.

Jason :

It appears the length of the cord is what is in question here.

Jason :

For a 120 volt unit, the cord can be up to 10 feet long. For a 208 or 240 volt unit, the cord can be up to 6 feet long.

Customer:

Not approved than?

Jason :

At 3.5 feet above the floor, I would think the cord would reach. But it really depends on placement of the nearest outlet. That question is a bit obscure, almost like they don't give you enough info to answer it.

Customer:

The answers it gave me to choose from were, Only if it has a PSC motor, Only if wired direct, not approved and approved. The code I found 511.7 talks about fixed electrical equipment. Nothing about cords, which makes sense now when I think of it, but I have to have a code to go with my answer. Looking at this book, literally spend hours on each question based on how it's worded :/

Jason :

Wow, I can see where that would be pretty frustrating. With the little info they have in that question, I wouldn't know what to go on.

Jason :

Let me look it over again, and check your options for answers.

Jason :

It's possible they are assuming it would be fed with 3 phase power, since it's a commercial installation. In that case, it must be wired direct.

Customer:

Thank you!

Jason :

It's looking more and more like that's what they're getting at.

Jason :

Having the list of possible answers does give me a little more to go on.

Customer:

One more...whew!

Jason :

Are you feeling pretty good about this answer then?

Customer:

Going over the code that I have for it. your answer gives me something to work with.

Jason :

That was in 440. I can get more specific if you need me to.

Customer:

After a day of answering 24 questions, it all becomes a blur 14 hours later.

Jason :

Yikes, I remember those days, back in my apprenticeship. Not sure I ever had a day that bad though.

Jason :

440.60 - 440.65

Customer:

Not sure how were supposed to answer these questions in 2 minutes each on the HVAC specialty license. ..at least not with the luck I'm having on these questions and right now I'm one of the top two in class lol. Thank you for the code..!

Jason :

No problem. Happy to help as much as I can. Did you say you have one more question?

Customer:

Yep, coming up