Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.

3 of the bedrooms in our house dont have ceiling lights.

3 of the bedrooms in our house don't have ceiling lights. The wall switches just control one of the outlets. I want to be able to install ceiling fans in the rooms. How difficult is it to do so?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

That all depends on how the house was wired. Do you have a attic access and is there enough space for you to crawl around in?

Customer: Yes. But there is a lot of insulation
Sparky :

Do you still want to keep the half hot receptacle working with the existing switch?

Customer: No
Sparky :

Depending on how your home was wired there may, or may not be a neutral wire in the box that the switch is in. You would need to remove the switch and take a look. Would you like to do that now, or would you like me to explain how to do it assuming there is a neutral wire there?

Customer: Lets assume there's a neutral wire... I don't need to know the steps... I just want to know if its difficult/ approximately how much time it should take
Sparky :

About 2 hours, including assembly and install of the fan with 2 people. It's not difficult. The worst part is being inside that attic, depending on the weather. Where I am at it's hot. If you live in a cool area, it's even easier.

Customer: Great, thanks!
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.