Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
18324022

I want to replace the electrical pnnel in our vacation home.

I want to replace the electrical pnnel in our vacation home. The existing is in a closet abot 12 inches above the floor. Also the existing is a comination of the existing pannel and 2 so called pony panels. I would like to change and put in one new panel and raise it to proper level of 5 feet. The problem is the existing wires going into the panel are too short to allow raising the panel. Can you tell me is their a way to do this with rewiring the whole place and meet codes.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Kevin :

Hi, and welcome to JA!!

Kevin :

Unfortunately, panels are no longer allowed by code to be installed in closets, is it possible to put the new one in the same wall, but face it the other way to another room?

Customer:

Well I guess I could install it facing into the bedrrom but really do not like tat idea

Kevin :

I run into this all the time. Customers dont want to see the breaker box, but it is no longer permissible to install them in closets

Customer:

Ok well I am just thinking about it I could build it into the wall with a door of some sort but what to do with all the wiring that is too short is it a way to running lines into some sort of junction box to extend them

Kevin :

You will need to face the new panel towards the bedroom. However, you are allowed to remove the "guts" or breakers and buss bars from the old panel, and use it basically as a giant junction box

Kevin :

simply screw the door of the old breaker box shut, and make connection inside it to lengthen your wires

Customer:

Ok so I can put all the wires into the old panel box make connections to each including stove dryer cables and extend to the new breaker panel

Kevin :

You got it!

Kevin :

We do it all the time

Kevin :

Many boxes are in closets and must be relocated when replaced

Kevin :

so we just use the old one to make our connections

Customer:

Ok so I can just joine them with marrets

Kevin :

Hmm.... I am not familiar with marrets. We may call them soemthing else here. You will need different sizes of wire nuts

Kevin :

At least red and blue

Customer:

Ok thanks much Kevin thats all I need

Kevin :

Please dont forget to rate my service, and thanks for using JA!!

Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience: 15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades