AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I am connecting a speed control switch to a Dayton exhaust

I am connecting a speed control switch to a Dayton exhaust fan. Both fan wires are black and switch wires black and white (doesnt need ground/green). I assume either black fan wire can be connected to hot. If WRONG wire, fan will turn counterclockwise (want it clockwise to exhaust not bring in air), however connecting hot wire (from box) incorrectly, may cause switch to 'smoke'. Simple issue, but I forget, if I use one of those things with 2 wires coming out of it with a light in the cap, and it lights, is that the hot wire? Also, would it matter which is which to the fan? Sorry for dumb questions. Just want to be sure. Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. PThe hot air connects to the fan black and the remaining wire to the neutral. The direction of the fan will not be affected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize. I did not understand your answer. Both fan wires are black. Is the hot wire at issue with the switch and does that little device tell me which the hot wire is? Thank you.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
your feed wires to the unit are black(hot) and white (neutral). The switch is connected to the hot and the black from the fan. The remaining fan wire connects to the white (neutral).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX opt out. I am not blaming you however I cannot understand the answer as applies to my question. Thank you,

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Very well. Good luck.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

You have the fan motor with 2 black wires, correct?

What wires do you have available from your speed switch to the motor?

How are the wires connected at the speed control? What colors and how many?

If you have a test light, it can test for the hot wire, yes. You need one lead to the hot wire and one lead to the neutral power source or a ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The switch company rep clarified it for me. He also taught me how to use 3 wire, ground the fan, connect using a 3 prong plug and either use the GFCI, or install another to plug the fan into. I was originally given incorrect information and the switch would not 'smoke'. The one wire in the original switch reamains intact, however each of the two split ends of the second wire attaches to each of the switch wires. Should the fan spin counter clockwise, reverse the wirings at the fan. The tester would only light if

connected to both wires and the tester I had would indicate there was current (and would light), not indicate which wire was the load, or hot one. He said I didnt need to know that. He also explained why the switch speed started at high (so the louvres would open) and not low. Now to getting the fan and switch off of the floor, into the mount and installation.

The fan is designed and built to rotate in one direction only no matter which wire is hot and which is neutral.
It cannot be reversed even trying to do so.

Is that what you needed or is there more?
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade