AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

i took out a GE 7 day in wall timer and it had 5 wires...black,

i took out a GE 7 day in wall timer and it had 5 wires...black, green, red, and white. I bought a new in wall timer and it only has 3 wires black, blue and green.

In the wall their are three white wires together, two black wires together, a black and red wire together, and of course your ground wires inside the wall box.

I want to know how do you wire the new timer with only 3 wires to the wall box with a whole lot of wires
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you give me the model number of the timer you wish to install?

Customer:

15313 v2 made by GE

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you remember which wires the old timer was connected to?

Customer:

no not really

AssuredElectrical :

Since there are no loose wires, some of them have been joined together. Needing to single out the light wire and power wire.

AssuredElectrical :

Is this the only switch for that light?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

So, is power on now?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

is the light on by chance?

Customer:

no,

Customer:

it wasnt working before

Customer:

that is why I am replacing the timer

AssuredElectrical :

is there another switch in the box? or is it only a single switch?

Customer:

single

AssuredElectrical :

ok, do you have a voltage tester?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Now, since there are 3 white wires, that means there are 3 cables in that box. 2 with black and white, one with black,red and white. Can you verify?

Customer:

that is correct

AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

since the light was not working before, do you know "if" there is another switch for the light? Is there a switch anywhere that you do not know what it controls by chance?

Customer:

no this is the small office of the house and their is only one switch for the ceiling light

AssuredElectrical :

ok, that ws my next question, where is the light. So there is one overhead light that this timer is to operate?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

Please test, one lead to the ground wire and one lead to the 2 blacks that are joined together.

AssuredElectrical :

give me that reading

Customer:

124.1v

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, excellent

AssuredElectrical :

Now, is the light only a light or is it a ceiling fan also?

Customer:

I can probably say since this is a newly built house it probably has wiring for a fan but right now it only is just a light

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, you are answering my questions before I ask them, lol. Next was age of the home.

AssuredElectrical :

With the red wire, that shows a 3 wire cable which is used for ceiling fans and lights today

AssuredElectrical :

So, this is what we need to do. 1. Turn off power 2. Connect the timer--green to the bare ground, black to the 2 blacks together. 3. Blue to the red and black together

Customer:

ok stand by

AssuredElectrical :

Ok

Customer:

reapply powe?

Customer:

power?

AssuredElectrical :

yes

Customer:

no joy

Customer:

light did not come on

Customer:

timer has no power

AssuredElectrical :

Verify the Power slide switch inside the button is set to the ON position.

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

the switch has a switch for power

Customer:

everything is working now

AssuredElectrical :

the power slide turns the timer on and off for operation, yes

Customer:

can you explain the blue wire and what is it

AssuredElectrical :

Excellent, light came on?

AssuredElectrical :

The Blue wire is the"load" wire. Meaning it connects to the wire that the light is actually connected to

Customer:

ok and yes the light came on

AssuredElectrical :

The black wire is for power

Customer:

the red

AssuredElectrical :

Red on the timer
?

Customer:

so I am a little confused why did they tie the red and black cable together

Customer:

in the box

AssuredElectrical :

Oh, ok

AssuredElectrical :

You have a red and black wire that are in the 3 wire cable to the ceiling box.

AssuredElectrical :

That way, if you ever installed a ceiling fan and light, you could separate the 2 and use a double switch in the box to control them separately

AssuredElectrical :

Right now, we dont know which the light is connected to, so keep them together.

Customer:

ok now I am on board.

Customer:

thanks for everything

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade