AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

new gas fired pool heater. old heater was a standing flame

new gas fired pool heater. old heater was a standing flame the new is gas fired with elect start . It can be wired 120 or220 volts with a red / black / green -ground wires . the supply is 120 volt with the usual black /white and green ground. my concern is what wire connects to the black supply, black or red or both?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. Do you have the model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't have this would have to go out to the pool house and get it thanks steve

We will need it to proceed. I want to make sure I tell you the correct info for the wiring. Normally black to black. For 120 red to white. Green is ground. I would like to make sure though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI again the model number is XXXXX the the ser. number Gie2B0522 . Hope this is the info; you need thanks again steve

graphic

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Please be advised. The unit can be connected to 120 volts for operation
but in doing so, you must take other steps or possible damage to the heater
will result.

The heater comes factory-wired intended for
use with 240 Volt, 60 Hz AC
field electrical supply.
To use 120 Volt, 60 Hz AC requires rewiring of the
heater.

To wire the heater for 120V,
60 Hz AC, follow the alternate 120V wiring method

depicted in Figure 16. Additionally, the ignition
control module must be rewired. The wire from the
terminal marked IGN/240 must be removed and placed
on the terminal marked IGN/120.

To wire the Legacy Model LRZ electronic heater
to a 120V or 240V /60 Hertz (Hz) electrical source:
1. Remove the door of the heater.
2. Connect the wires from the power source to the
leads on the right side of the heater in the space
behind the raceway. See Figure 15.
3. Connect a bonding wire (8ga copper) to the
bonding lug on the right side of the heater

The heater must include a
definite means of grounding. There is a bonding lug on
the right side of the heater, where a bond wire must be
attached.

Please see Page 21 and 22--CLICK HERE for the changes that MUST be done before connecting to 120 volts.

Also, the bonding must be performed to connect to the bonding grid as well for safety of the operation to prevent electrical shock hazards

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade