AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Hello, trying to have a new Dimplex Linear Proportional Convector

Hello, trying to have a new Dimplex Linear Proportional Convector Heater installed to replace an old baseboard heater. I'm not there to see it first hand but rather just have a faxed copy of the instructions and the verbal description of whats there.
The instructions show that the wires on the new LPC are Black - L1, Blue - Neutral, and Yellow - L2. I am told that the only bare wire is a black one coming from the mother-board. Feeding the old unit there is a black, a white, and a ground wire. Should the installer have to remove factory installed marrets joining wires together or is he perhaps not seeing something? How should the wires be connected (color-wise)?
Thank-you in advance.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

2. How many wires are there loose and not connected? Colors?

AssuredElectrical :

1. What is the voltage of the heater? What power do you have available?

AssuredElectrical :

Looking at the wiring diagram for the heater, there should be a loose black wire, a loose blue wire. Yellow wire should be connected to another black wire with a marrett and not to be undone.

AssuredElectrical :

There should be a green screw in the wiring compartment that the ground wire will connect to from your power source.

AssuredElectrical :

The diagram states this----The loose black wire L1 in the heater connects to the wall black wire. There is a black wire and blue wire connected with a marrett, that is where you connect the wall white wire L2. Then the ground screw is where to connect the bare ground wire. The yellow and black that are together, are not touched and left as is.

Customer:

This site seems very slow this morning. I am finally able to load this chat. Give me a minute to catch up. Thank-you.

AssuredElectrical :

Site is experiencing problems, trying to get a diagram uploaded and no luck quite yet.

Customer:

I was starting to wonder about the voltage as well. It is suppose to be a 240 volt as that is what the old one is.

AssuredElectrical :

It should have a nameplate that states the voltage

Customer:

I'm told there is just a black wire loose coming off the new heater. So I see you are saying there should also be a blue. I will get him to look closer. And, thank-you I didn't think he should have to start disconnecting already marretted wires.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you see that image?

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

After reviewing the manual, the blue isnt loose but connected to a black right now

AssuredElectrical :

Do not undo the yellow and black, they are connected to the high limit on the heater.

Customer:

ok, yes I see your diagram and understand enough to relay the message to installer. I will also make sure he checks for the 240v stamp. Thank-you very much for all your assistance with this.

AssuredElectrical :

You are very welcome. Yes, do be sure the heater is 240 volts if that is your supply voltage

Customer:

Definitely. Have a great day and week-end. Cheers!

AssuredElectrical :

you too, thank you

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.