AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I got couple of questions from township after submitting my

I got couple of questions from township after submitting my basement plan. I will be putting bathroom in the basement. I need help to answer these questions.

The questuions are

1) Provide information how you are going to comply with art. 210.11 and 406.11 of the 2008 NEC

2) The plans show a outlet in the bathroom this must be GFCI protected and must be on a 20 amo circuit.

For the second question I am going to install GFCI protected but i need to know how to answer

Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Install the bathroom receptacle on a dedicated 20 amp circuit, #12 wire and a 20 amp breaker along with a Tamper Resistant GFCI receptacle. 406.11 is the Tamper Resistant receptacles being installed for all the rooms.

Customer:

How do I respond to that question to get it approved?

AssuredElectrical :

Tamper Resistant receptacles are labeled as such at all building supply stores

AssuredElectrical :

Customer:

Do I have to install all Tamper Resistant receptacles in basement?

AssuredElectrical :

All new receptacles, YES

Customer:

what is 210.11 article?

AssuredElectrical :

very long article and covers many things. Did they give any specifics?

Customer:

No specifics

Customer:

the question is exactly like this

Customer:

Customer:

2) Provide information how many outlets and lights are goingto be on each circuit

Customer:

3) Provide information how many electric baseboard heaters you are going to have on each circuit with wire size and breaker size

Customer:

4) The plans show a outlet in the bathroom this must be GFCI protected and must be on a 20 amp circuit

Customer:

that is all on the letter I received

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

1. How many receptacles and how many lights are you installing?

Customer:

I have 16 lights and 23 recepticles

AssuredElectrical :

2. How many heaters are you installing? What is their wattage?

Customer:

2 of them are 1500 watts and 2 of them are 1000 watts

AssuredElectrical :

3. How many rooms are there total?

Customer:

one big open room with L shape and one more 10 X 10 room

AssuredElectrical :

Is there a kitchen or washer/dryer?

Customer:

no

Customer:

there will be a bathroom

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

it would be great if you give me answers to those questions so that I can submit the answers

AssuredElectrical :

1. Tell them, you will supply the 10x10 with 20 amp circuit for the receptacles and lights. 2. In the L shaped room, supply will be 2 20 amp circuits with half of the room on each one. 3. You will supply the heaters with one 240 volt 20 amp circuit for the 2-1000 watt heaters. 4. You will supply the 2-1500 watt heaters on a single 240 volt 20 amp circuit

AssuredElectrical :

5. You will supply the bathroom receptacle with a 20 amp circuit by itself with a GFCI receptacle

AssuredElectrical :

6. All receptacles being installed shall be Tamper Resistant type

Customer:

can I use 120 volts heaters?

AssuredElectrical :

That will take 4 circuits

AssuredElectrical :

240 is best

Customer:

okay

Customer:

2) Provide information how many outlets and lights are going to be on each circuit

Customer:

how do I answer this. Do I have to specify number for each circuit

Customer:

?

AssuredElectrical :

specify what number?

Customer:

number of lights and number of recepticles on each circuit

AssuredElectrical :

I stated that---------the 10 x 10 on a single circuit

AssuredElectrical :

You have to count the receptacles and lights, I do not have a drawing

Customer:

including heater in that 10 x 10 room ?

AssuredElectrical :

the L shaped gets 2 circuits

AssuredElectrical :

NO

AssuredElectrical :

Heaters are separate as I posted

Customer:

okay I got it

AssuredElectrical :

you can put the bath light/fan on with the 10 x 10 room or supply another circuit for it, your choice

Customer:

How much watts of heaters I can add to one 240 v and 20 amp circuit?

AssuredElectrical :

You could put 3500 on a 20 amp circuit. I prefer to keep it maximum at 3000

AssuredElectrical :

Code allows the 3500 watts, actually 3800, but most heaters are in 500 watt increments

AssuredElectrical :

1800 watts maximum if you went with 120 volts, thats why 240 volts is best suited

Customer:

Okay.thank you

Customer:

Can I just answer those questions in text format or do I have to do any drawings again?

AssuredElectrical :

I would think they should accept a written text that spells out how many receptacles and lights on each circuit. Specify each room and all items on the one circuit. Do that for all the circuits and bath receptacle.

AssuredElectrical :

Example: Circuit #1 is 20 amps 120 volts, #12 wire. Consists of 9 receptacles and 5 lights. All receptacles to be Tamper Resistant

AssuredElectrical :

Do the same for each circuit and that should have all the info they asked for

Customer:

Thanks for your help. I really appricate it

AssuredElectrical :

Glad to assist, you are very welcome

Customer:

bye

AssuredElectrical :

have a nice day, bye

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade