AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

how do I access the contactors in a cutler hammer starter

how do I access the contactors in a cutler hammer starter A10f-2
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

I assume you wish to change out the contacts?

Please verify the Model number, as the A10F-2 is the publication for instructions I do believe.

Worked with the A10 series for 25 years and very good performing units with little troubles.

Maybe a Model like the one in the picture below?

Not sure where the problem is, so if you can take a picture and post, it would be easier for me to use the picture and point out anything that needs to be done to get the contacts removed.

You have 2 sets, stationary and movable.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tommy, your starter photo is nearly identical except our contact kit numbers are 6-36-4 (your are 6-36-2). Parts Pub A10F-2 is the same for bot. But our No. A10FNL0 (yours is A10FNO). We have removed the front cover, the coil plate and armature. But we can't remove / pull out the large plastic part that has in white writing at the top "1L1", "L2", "L3". We can pull it out part way (about 1/2") - - - then it catches on something and springs back into place. We're thinking that it should separate to expose access to the poins. We have loosened the two brass bolts all the way - - - they're not hanging up. Is there a trick to this? Are the points behind it?

Can you take a picture with the front cover and top half of the magnet (armature) removed and post?

Get the picture on your PC, then use the instruction below for 2 options to post for me to see.

You can post pictures from your PC or items connected to the PC,
by using the paper clip icon on the tool bar to the right of the smiley face..

Click the paper clip icon, it opens a little pop up box.
In the pop up box, click on Browse.
That opens another box, that you click the Browse also
The it will open your PC for you to find the picture.
When you have found the picture, you just Highlight it and then
click OK.
The that box closes, leaving the first box only
where you click INSERT.
Then it puts the picture in the chat box.

Or you can upload your pictures to --- tinypic.com --- and then
post the link here so we can access the picture.
Only takes a second and very easy at tinypic.com

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Here's a photo on tinypic.com

http://en.file-upload.net/download-7495303/SSPX0010.jpg.html

Have you loosened the 2nd level screws holding the mid section to the back as shown in the picture?

Also, look at the left and right side for any auxiliary connects, sometimes the way the attach will hinder lifting the section off the back end of the starter.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we had already loosened the two screws. And we don't see any auxiliary connects? Could the springs be removed somehow? Maybe that's what is hanging up?

If you are talking about the springs on the left and right, they do not remove from the front.

Those two side springs are inside that plastic piece and when you remove that section, you will see on the other side that the movable contacts are fastened to that same plastic piece on the back side and that is how you remove the springs. ( If my memory hasn't failed me)

I haven't changed contacts on the A10 series (Citation Line) in a couple years, so thinking of what may be holding it back.

They haven't made them in many years, they have the smaller Freedom series line now.

I have 2 in the shop, but wont be there until Monday unfortunately to look at one and see what could be causing the issue.

I thought I had a spec sheet in my files here at the house , but no luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. We'll wait to hear from you.

Let me ask this:

With the 2 brass screws tightened back down, can you push on the 2 side springs?

In other words you should push on the springs and then let go and they should pop back up.
Does that happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they pop back up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it pops back up.

Ok, thanks.

I wanted to be sure the contacts were not welded together.

When they weld together, it would do as you state, because the movable contacts would allow you to raise the section until you reach the limits of the contact springs.

I will definitely be able to have info Monday, and will try to get a hold of one of the electricians that does some of the work for me at an Industrial plant with the Cutler Hammer equipment on site and may be able lend a hand if he helped the plant change any contacts recently. We assist on maintenance at the site with whatever they need at the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much - - - we look forward to hearing from you. Joe

Ok, thanks Joe appreciate it.
Will post as soon as possible.
The site will notify when when I do.
Hey Joe,
Dont have the update yet, but thought something to try and see if any difference after thinking about the way it is assembled.

Put the coil back in and the top armature with the clip and bar, then assemble it back into the unit and tighten the screws down.

Then remove only the 2 brass screws and see if any difference.

I was trying to think if any pressure from the top section had anything to with what is happening as I do not ever remember removing the top section in order to change out contacts.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just opened your message. Thanks so much. Several years ago we changed the contacts without this problem. Don't remember any big deal. We probably didn't disassemble so much then. We'll try your suggestion when we get to work today. I'll let you know. Thanks for working on this!

Ok, thanks.

That is what has me so puzzled too. Worked on many of the old Citation series and no problems, so trying to think what would cause it to not just pull up and off the bottom section.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tommy. We tried but no luck. Still gets out to a point then catches on something. Thanks, Joe

Joe, can you take a picture of the side when you are pulling on the section to separate it from the bottom section?

Show the gap?
Joe,
Just talked with the electrician I use at the plant on the Cutler Hammer.

He had one with him on his truck and agreed, that it only takes the 2 brass screws loosened completely to remove the section and get to the contacts.

He feels like me, that the contacts are welded together, either one set or more and that is the problem.

Best way to verify this, is to take a multi meter and set it for continuity.
Then read the top side to the bottom side and see if it shows continuity.

If it does, the contacts are welded together.

Makes it very hard to separate and dont how how to get them apart without any damage.

Maybe if the gap is large enough to slide a flat knife inside to pry the contacts apart, all depends on how well they are welded together.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Tommy. That did the trick! We were afraid to force it, but with a little etra prying the contacts let go without damage. Thank you so much for staying with this even on a Sunday. Can we pay you something extra for your excellent help? We are an art pottery, Bay Pottery - - - baypottery.com - - - so our budget is tight these days. But would $30.00 seem at all appropriate? Just let me know. And, of course, we'll give you the highest possible rating. It has ben a real pleasure. Looking forward to hearing from you. Joe McMichael

Joe, I do appreciate the compliments and the opportunity to help.

Glad you got it freed up so you can now get it back to operation and get the work done you need.

Any bonus is always appreciated, and that is entirely up to you, the customer

If you have any needs in the future, hope you will keep me in mind.

Take care and again, glad you got it opened up without any damage.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Tommy. I'm recording your 5 stars. How can I get the bonus to you. Can you take a credit card or check by mail - - - or do I work thru justanswer.com via credit card. Just let me know and I'll take care of it immediately. Thanks again for your expertise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tommy. I found the tip location on the site and have paid. Again thank you.