AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I have a Bosch dryer that used to connect to a three prong

I have a Bosch dryer that used to connect to a three prong outlet. I moved and now have a four prong outlet. I swapped out the plug to a four prong and connected it to the four prong outlet. Now my dryer is not getting hot enough. Is there a difference between a three and four prong outlet?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

You swapped out the dryer cord, correct?

Customer:

Yes. My new apartment has only a four prong outlet. My old apartment and a three prong outlet. So, I swapped it out and confirmed that it is correctly wired to the dryer. My dryer is not getting hot enough and I'm wondering if the power from the outlet is all wrong.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Here is the layout of a 4 wire cord

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

Now, when you change the cord out, you MUST remove the jumper from the center post to the dryer frame.

Customer:

Where is that jumper?

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

Look at the diagram, sometimes it is hard to see. It connects to ta screw on the frame and remove it, then connect the green wire on the new cord to the smae screw.

Customer:

i don't have such a jumper and the instructions for my dryer didn't have this

AssuredElectrical :

All 3 wire dryers have one, that is how they grounded it, or else you get electricuted if a short happened.

AssuredElectrical :

You have to look at the center post

Customer:

okay let me check

AssuredElectrical :

there will be a wirec onnected to it and it goes to the frame somewhere on the dryer.

Customer:

wait a moment. i am removing screws from the dryer. it is unplugged from the outlet

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

there is a ground screw already connected to the frame of the dryer. i'm confident that the dryer is properly grounded

AssuredElectrical :

What is on that ground screw?

Customer:

the problem however is that the dryer is not getting hot. so i am wondering if the issue is with the four prong outlet being different from a three prong outlet. can you tell me if there is a difference in power between the two types of outlets?

AssuredElectrical :

There is no difference in the 2 receptacles except one has a separate ground wire

Customer:

next to the ground screw is a clamp on the frame that is connected to a wire

Customer:

okay so both outlets are 30 amps and provide up to 250 V power?

AssuredElectrical :

That is probably the old jumper for the 3 wire cord. You have to disconnect that one and connect your new dryer cord green to the frame.

AssuredElectrical :

If you leave the old jumper is not safe

AssuredElectrical :

yes, both operate 240 volts, no difference

Customer:

there is no jumper to remove from the center connector . i can take a photo to send to you

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

I thought you said there was a wire next to the screw on the frame?

Customer:

i've just noticed something ...

Customer:

i have the red and black connected swapped

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the red and blacks can be reversed

Customer:

the red and black reversed is not a problem then?

AssuredElectrical :

they are both 120 volts and doesnt matter. In order to have a drawing, it has to show them connected

AssuredElectrical :

no, reda nd blacks can be on either side on the the 2 side terminals of the receptacle.

Customer:

hmm okay. this doesn't explain why the dryer is not getting hot. if this is not an issue with the power, it may be an issue with the appliance itself.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a voltage meter?

AssuredElectrical :

Maybe the receptacle doesnt have the power?

Customer:

no i don't have one

AssuredElectrical :

turn the breaker back off, then real fast to ON,

Customer:

what will that do?

AssuredElectrical :

it is possible one side did not set inside the breaker

Customer:

okay i will try

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

i've done that am testing the dryer now.

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

same result. well, at this point I'm going to call my an appliance technician to look at this. you've at least answered my question regarding the outlet. both the three and four prong outlets provide the same power. just a difference in ground.

AssuredElectrical :

The element may have broken when moving the dryer. This happens on occasion because the element is wire wound into a spring coil and it becomes brittle with age. When moving it around, it actually jiggles the element and it breaks in two. Might remove the element from the housing and see if it is intact. A tester will prove that the 240 volts is at the receptacle also.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, the only difference in a 3 and 4 prong is the ground. Nothing else is different.

Customer:

okay . thanks for your help

AssuredElectrical :

you are welcome, If any further is needed, just reply here at any time. Be glad to help with testing etc.

Customer:

thanks again

AssuredElectrical :

glad to assist, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Here is a complete wiring diagram, just for your information if needed for testing

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade