AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Are Ideal 65 wirenuts an acceptable solution to repairing aluminum

Are Ideal 65 wirenuts an acceptable solution to repairing aluminum wiring in homes. I am also a master electrician, but have not had to deal too much with this. I became aware of two other solutions, COPALUM crimp style connectors, and Alumiconn screw type. It seems the consensus is COPALUM and I wonder if there is an underlying motivation to all the things I'm reading

Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

I would only use the Alumiconn or the Copalum connectors to make changes to the aluminum wiring.

They all to get a copper conductor to attach to tall the devices and keep the aluminum away from the copper.

When you use something such as Ideal 65 wire nuts, you are actually joining the 2 dissimilar metals and that is where the trouble starts.

The latest publication from the U S Consumers Product Safety Commission says only
COPALUM or Alumiconn to be used.

CLICK HERE to read the Commission statement:
Briefing package dated March 15,2011

I wired many homes in the late 70's with the aluminum.
What we know now should have been known then but unfortunately, the copper shortage was killing the home builders, so they devised a quick alternative that was used in the 60's also.

Just click reply for any other information.

Thanks

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
CLICK HERE for the Publication 516
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, what is the material being used in each of the "accepted" methods? Wouldn't there remain a possibility of electrolysis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answer of "Click Here to read the publication" is disappointing. I already stated that I had read it. It doesn't answer my question.

Sorry for the delay, the site has been experiencing some delays.

They have designed the connectors to support the 2 metals.
They will not deteriorate and heat like the wire nuts.

Aluminum and copper have been joined together for years.
They make special metals for the 2 with what we call split bolts.

I like the Alumiconn personally, but it is a preference.

The major problem with aluminum is the contact connections.
They heat and cool and become loose and then heat more and contract and get loose.

The wire nuts do not keep the 2 metals together like the other connectors.

There are many problems with wire nuts today in all copper homes.
Connection become loose all the time.
Especially with not twisting the wires together before applying a wire nut.

The crimp style do not come loose when applied properly, do not overheat and do not corrode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wirenuts aren't designed to be a mechanical connection. I always twist the wires together before I use them. If the wires are twisted properly, would the 65's be acceptable? In your opinion?

It is nice that you twist the wires before the wirenut, as on so many service calls, the wires were only twisted by the wire nut and slowly heat and cool to become loose.

There is NO corrosion with the 2 approved methods.

The CPSC helps to keep us safe and only approve the 2 mentioned as a viable solution.

Using a wire nut will corrode and deteriorate, they just wrap each other together.

The crimp connectors crimp each one separately so there is not the problem as a wire nut.

I would not recommend nor use a 65 wire nut on aluminum.