AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

Hi. Were are victims of Superstorm Sandy. Sandys salt waters

Hi. Were are victims of Superstorm Sandy. Sandy's salt waters rose about 5" above the foundation. The tide did not stay at that height long enough to totally flood the inside of our home. The flood waters did stay high enough to get for the space between the outside and inside walls wet. Our electric box in the basement was submerged for 5 days as we didn't have a pump to get pump the water out.

Our small cape was built in 1933 and has a lot of the original electrical wiring. The old electric wires have a type of fabric as insulation. The electrical outlets (both old and new) were submerged as well. FEMA covered the replacement of a new box and whatever electric lines there were in the basement. I have a couple of concerns:

- water was trapped between the outer walls and the inner walls--I DON"T KNOW to what extent, if any, the salt water damaged the electric lines in the walls. Those lines are old and covered in some type of fabric insulation. Do I have to replace the electric lines / wires/ outlets that may have come into contact with salt water?
- How do I know if they have to be replaced? Especially, because FEMA DIDN'T cover replacing other electric wires/boxes/outlets. A FEMA rep told me that they pay for us to rewire the house.
-because the box was submerged for days, would the fabric covered electric wires have wicked the water from the basement up the lines/wires thru the house?
-do I have to replace those electric lines and boxes? If not the whole electric lines, can I replace some?
-what I am looking for as far as whether or not I should replace those lines?

Please help us. I have 3 kids and it IS a wood framed house. I am scared of 2 things-worms and the electric box. I am afraid that the house will catch fire because I DON"T KNOW WHAT SANDY'S SALT WATER and neighbors home heating oil damaged and needs to be replaced. And FEMA only paid for us to replace the box in the basement and some outlets and electric lines in the basement. What do I do about the electric in rest of the house?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. All electrical components subject to the flood by salt water should be replaced. The effects of salt water is deleterious to the elements of the system and the only way to be safe is to replace everything affected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I asked pointed questions. I needed specific information. He didn't answer the questions. I asked the questions AGAIN. He gave me a link to the UL sight.

I need ANSWERS. Not just a cut and paste statement.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that the truth about what is necessary isn't to your satisfaction. You asked and the only answer was given. I even provided a link to back up my answer. Would you have rated me positive had I told you to leave the flood affected wiring. I'll opt out and suggest that you do as stated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wanted you to tell me what I needed to look for to KNOW if the wires came into contact with salt water.

I wanted you to tell me if I could replace some lines and not all lines

I wanted to know if the water would wick up the old fabric insulation. I asked these SAME questions TWICE. YOUR NASTY f**kING COMMENT ABOUT ME RATING YOU POSITIVE HAD YOU HAVE TOLD ME TO LEAVE THE WIRING ALONE IS IRRELEVANT AND STUPID!

YOU didn't answer my questions at all! You just wrote, "you asked and the only answer was given" HOW does that answer ANY of the 6 questions I asked. THAT doesn't even make sense!

AND THEN I ASKED you again! YOU GAVE ME A LINK! I wanted specific information. I told you I DON'T KNOW WHAT CAME INTO CONTACT WITH SALT WATER? HOW will I know? f**kING GUESS? Rip it all out? I CAN'T! I can't afford it! DO I HAVE TO RIP IT ALL OUT ON A WHIM?

I ASKED YOU WHAT TO LOOK FOR TO KNOW IF THE WIRES CAME INTO CONTACT WITH SALT WATER. What? descriptive wordes, corrosion? discoloring,

would the fabric insulation wick the water? that was yes or no. that was it would wick the water 10ft.

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

- water was trapped between the outer walls and the inner walls--I DON"T KNOW to what extent, if any, the salt water damaged the electric lines in the walls. Those lines are old and covered in some type of fabric insulation.
Do I have to replace the electric lines / wires/ outlets that may have come into contact with salt water?

If the wires were submerged under the water, YES it needs replacing

- How do I know if they have to be replaced? Especially, because FEMA DIDN'T cover replacing other electric wires/boxes/outlets. A FEMA rep told me that they pay for us to rewire the house.-because the box was submerged for days, would the fabric covered electric wires have wicked the water from
the basement up the lines/wires thru the house?

Go by the the highest water line point that was reached in the home--That is the height that must be used to evaluate all electrical for replacement.

Again, the highest level of water dicatates replacement.

Any receptcales, switches, disconnects panels, wiring that was submerged at ANYTIME needs replacing.

#1
graphic

#2
graphic

#3

graphic
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Just some information:
This took place at my home county and city and we worked on many homes flooded in the area.
Many were total losses, but many were still salvageable.

On September 21, 2009 Douglas County was devastated by the worst flood in Georgia history.
Over 18 inches (457 mm) of rain fell in one night, causing many roads to be destroyed and many homes
a total loss. The county was later declared a disaster area, and the governor of Georgia declared a
state of emergency

Inspectors in our area, required us to remove any cable that was submerged, whether it was
the full length of the run or not.
There have not been any good studies to determine how far water will wick up a cable, so they required
it all if any was under water for safety.
No one wants to remove any cables later once all work is done. That would cost twice as much.

Sheetrock was required to be removed in the middle of the wall and down even if the water line only rose to 1 foot on the wall., so it was easy to know what was
submerged or not based on the water line.

They wanted NO chance of molding to come later which is very disastrous as a health hazard.
They wanted all to be dried completely and testing for moisture before they allowed new wall sheet rock.

You might check with your local authority, the inspections department for your city or county, they may require more or less.

They have the final say on any electrical wiring and it must be inspected as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for the flooding in your state. So,sadly, you actually KNOW how I feel. The 3rd picture you sent was AMAZING! FEMA refused to cover the ANY electric other than that which was UNDER WATER. I didn't know if I could 'trim' 14" of wire of all of the electric lines leading into the box! The 3rd picture you sent answered that question. This might sound dumb but do you have a reference for those pictures. I have to argue with FEMA as to why they need to cover all of the electric--because I can't replace SOME of the electric.

As an aside, while we were waiting for a trailer that never showed, I have a HUGE black mold problem. FEMA doesn't cover mold. Insurance doesn't cover mold. You would think that the taxes the gov't took out of my husband's paycheck every week, someone would feel they should give SOME of it back for disaster assistance. HAHAHAHA!

Thank you. I really appreciate how well you answered my questions.

I made the pictures for posting from my experience on flooded electrical and used it on a few occasions such as this one.

I have no published information that goes with pictures besides the pictures themselves.

What you need to do is below, as it will give a government authority for the requirements and help you with FEMA.

Shame on the mold, because it is an effect of the flooding itself and must be cleaned up and then re dried.

Ok, you need to visit your local government offices. County or city depending on were you live.
Go to the Permitting and Inspections department.

They are the sole authority who is in charge of the electrical in your home.
They should be able to provide a letter for you to take to FEMA.

That way, you have the government and letterhead with signatures.
The local permitting and inspections have the sole authority and final say on the situation as to what must be done electrically.

My pictures are based on MY local authority requirements in our flood.

There is nothing in the code that really gets down to details on the issue and the published information by UL and others , pretty much is what my pictures represent.

You would think, that FEMA would have more information based on all the flooding over the years and the dangers of the water, fresh or saltwater
That is pretty disappointing, to know all our money to a department that is ignorant as that.

That is my recommendations, that way you have the local requirements, as they may be a little different than ours.
I would not expect much difference, but some possibly like a certain distance away from the submerged area to be removed? I just do not know.

Best to have local authorities give the final outcome to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tommy, you were amazing. Thank you. I have 2 masters degrees and I have been trying to find answers to my questions for 3 months--you answered them in 10 minutes. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX would have known about YOU sooner. Be well, and take care. You were a God Send! ciao

I do appreciate the compliment and the rating. Glad I was able to assist in your questions. Always a bad situation with floods ,have work through them and easy focused. Good luck with all the work and especially FEMA.