AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

I just bought a kiln that pulls 2.9 Kw but I dont know what

I just bought a kiln that pulls 2.9 Kw but I don't know what that means, does it pull that by hour, minute? or what? thanks!

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. That means it is a 3000 watt kiln. So at 220 volts it will draw 15 amps at full load.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you for your answer! the question here is my kiln just say in its technical specs 2.9 Kw but it doesn't say per hour or anything I don't know if the kiln pulls 2.9Kw immediately during an hour which would turn into an outstanding amount of energy consumed or if it generally those specs are estimated for an hour, because my energy company charges according to Kw per hour I want to estimate a price range to know how much can I use it for my projects, thanks!

That is for load calculation, so at full load it will draw 15 amps. It will probably never draw that much current. To calculate the kw for your power company you will need to find out what they charge you for kilowatt an hour.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your answer! they charge me 10 cents per Kw per hour, I ignore about electricity a LOT I need to change that so I really appreciate your help! thanks!

No problem. Your welcome.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

KW is the power used with the Kiln.

It is measured in real time by the electric meter.

So, if you use the Kiln for 15 minutes in one hour and 10 minutes the next hour, then 35 minutes the next hour, it would total 1 hour usage overall and that is 2.9 KWH

You pay your electric bill by the amount of KWH used in the home or business

You do not pay based on amperage/amps in the home.

One KWH is when you use 1000 watts for 1 Hour of time.(that is like 10- 100 watt bulbs)

So, with the Kiln at 2.9 KW, that equals 2900 watts total energy when operating

When powered up and heating, it will use 2.9KW for each hour of use or 1 KW per 20 Minutes (approx)

If you look at your electric bill, you will see what they charge you for each KWH

All bills show the costs associated. There are sometimes 2 or more sections for the charges
and you have to add them up to determine what the total cost is for each KW.
Power utilities love the additional costs of fuel, surcharge etc and escalate the
cost of 1 KWH doing so.

They also charge more for the higher usage and normally split the usage into groups.Sometimes 2 and some 3 at different levels of use.

Like the first 600 KWH you pay one price, then the remainder above 600 KWH another price.

As an example, say you pay .10 cents per KW on the first 600 and then .16 cents after that has been passed.

So, the Kiln would cost you 10 cents every 20 minutes to operate in the home or 30 cents per hour.

Once you pass the 600 watt level, then it costs 16 cents per 20 minute period or 48 cents an hour.

The details of the price break levels are on the bill along with the per KW pricing.
It changes normally with the seasons also, going up in the may to Oct and down in the Oct-May because of the summer months at which they enjoy charging more.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Tommy, you Sir, are awesome, this is indeed a proper answer thank you very much for your great answer and actually answering my question! all the best!

I mis-understood your question. Sorry...