AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a Dayton 6K040J explosion proof motor I want to wire

I have a Dayton 6K040J explosion proof motor I want to wire to a chord. I am a complete amatuer. How do I proceed?
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. What voltage are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to use 110V

I am not able to bring up any schematics for this motor. Is there a wiring diagram in the motor nameplate? If so, can you post a picture or tell me what it says.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tommy,

There is a wiring diagram. It calls for wires P2, T5, and T3 to be joined together with the label "TAPE" below it. It also calls for wires T2, T8, and T4 to be joined together with the label "LINE" beneath it. Then there is a lone wire - P1 labelled "UNGR'D". I don't know what "TAPE" and "LINE" mean.

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Tape means:
Take P2, T5 and T3 leads, connect them to each other and use a wire nut to join them and keep them together.

Take T2,T8 and T4 and join them all with the Hot wire from the breaker .

Take P1 and connect to the neutral from the power source .

When wiring 115 volts, you have 3 wires going to the panel, black connects to the breaker, white to the neutral bar and the bare wire to the ground bar.

The only draw back with wiring a motor with 115 volts, is be sure of the nameplate rating of AMPS or A.

You need a minimum of #12 wire on your motor as the nameplate states 11.5 amps running on 115 volts. That keeps you in a safe position on wiring

#12 is good for 20 amps
#10 is good for 30 amps

If the motor does not turn in the correct direction for your application, swap the positions of T5 and T8, that will reverse the direction of the motor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, so T2, P5, and T3 are all bound together with a wire nut. Do they connect to the chord in any way?

The chord I will use will have three wires. Which color will connect to T2, T8, and T4?

Which color will connect to the P1 neutral?

I told you I was an amateur. Thanks.

No problem, I understand. That is why the system is setup to communicate back and forth until completed.

1. OK, so T2, P5, and T3 are all bound together with a wire nut. Do they connect to the chord in any way?

They do not connect to the cord, they only connect to each other.

2.The chord I will use will have three wires. Which color will connect to T2, T8, and T4?

Black will connect to these 3, that is the hot wire

3. Which color will connect to the P1 neutral?

White connects to P1, that is the neutral

This is based on a standard cord with black , white and ground wires.

You need #12 not #14 on the cord.
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade