AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Hi, I have a simple outlet plug-in tester with 3 lights that

Hi, I have a simple outlet plug-in tester with 3 lights that shows a sequence of lights to determine if the outlet is properly grounded, reversed polarity etc. What does it mean when all 3 lights light up? thanks, Greg
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Which brand do you have?

AssuredElectrical :

Ido not know which one you have, but most do not light all 3 at the same time in a normal situation of any one fault.

AssuredElectrical :

I just checked my brands which are Ideal and GB and they are the same.

AssuredElectrical :

Now it could be, it is showing 2 faults at the same time, lets look at that possibility.

AssuredElectrical :

If you had an Open Ground, and at the same time a Hot/Neutral reversed, that may light up all 3 lights. Open ground is center light, Hot/Neutral Reversed is outside lights on the GB. Or an Open neutral and hot/ground reversed shows the same.

AssuredElectrical :

Now the Ideal, looks like is similar on the light responses.

AssuredElectrical :

So, it all depends on your make and model as to the lights, but is does seem it is outputting 2 faults at the same time since there isnt a single fault to light all 3 at the same time

AssuredElectrical :

If your label is still intact on the tester, look and see which 2 faults would represent the 3 lights simultaneously and then eliminate one of them to see the change. That will prove the situation.

AssuredElectrical :

Just rare for 2 faults

AssuredElectrical :

I think I will do a study of that in a bit on a test setup and see

AssuredElectrical :

I just performed a quick test on my workbench. Only took a minute. I wired for NO ground and Hot/Neutral reversed. What I got was Open Ground Light was bright and the Hot/Neutral Reversed lights were dim on my 2 testers. It appears they all lit, but you could easily see the difference in the illumination.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade