AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

Hello--Im working on an old house where most but not all has

Hello--Im working on an old house where most but not all has been rewired. Using my circuit/GFI tester (Tekton 7338) , I find a wall receptacle that is shown on the meter to have an open ground. I then run a short wire from the receptacle neutral screw to the receptacle green ground screw, I retest it and find it shows "correct wiring."

Have I created a hazardous situation?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Is the wiring only 2 wires in the cable? Hot and neutral without a ground, as in older homes?

AssuredElectrical :

Connecting to the neutral side of a receptacle and then using that as a ground wire is very dangerous. Ground wires carry no current in the system, where neutral wires carry the same as the hot wires.

AssuredElectrical :

On older homes, you can install a GFCI for extra protection on a 2 wire circuit. Still will have no ground, but that was common on older homes before the ground wires were installed in the cables.

Customer:

glad to have info-- wont do this way

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, neutrals must be kept separate at all times.

Customer:

got it

AssuredElectrical :

If you install a GFCI, it will protect that one receptacle and all those downstream. No ground but allows for a 3 prong receptacle

AssuredElectrical :

Supposed to have the GFCI protection before changing any 2 prong receptacles to 3 prong

Customer:

Might do that-- isn't there a GFI crcuit breaker available that would take care of the whole circuit?

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, that is much easier for sure. I have done entire old homes and changed all the receptacle circuits with GFCI breakers

AssuredElectrical :

That allows to upgrade to 3 prongs.

Customer:

I thin kI might look at that possibility--can I change each receptacle, though?

AssuredElectrical :

Change to GFCI?

Customer:

Yes, individually to GFCI

AssuredElectrical :

If you can determine which receptacle is first from the breaker, you change it to GFCI and it protects all the others on that same circuit. Only one per circuit that way.

AssuredElectrical :

Then all the other receptalces can be standard 3 prong

AssuredElectrical :

Cables loop from one to the next, so finding that first stop is the key

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hope I'm able to find that first receptacle, but at least I have the other option if I cant find it.

Customer:

Im ready to go with this I think, Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok sounds great. You are very welcome. Glad to be of service.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade