AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

how to wire a baldor L3514 to a 6 pole drum switch single phase

how to wire a baldor L3514 to a 6 pole drum switch single phase 115 volt. switch when in fwd poisition poles 123 and 456 connected. in rev 124 and 356 connected. motor has 9 leads and leads 5 and 8 are used for reversing
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. Is there a diagram on the motor nameplate?If so, can you take a picture of it and post it here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how to wire a baldor L3514 to a 6 pole drum switch single phase 115 volt. switch when in fwd poisition poles 123 and 456 connected. in rev 124 and 356 connected. motor has 9 leads and leads 5 and 8 are used for reversing.

thanks

Can you post a diagram of the drum switch or tell me what type it is, so I can look it up?
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Looks like a Dayton 2X440 drum switch or at least it operates the same.

The motor only has 7 leads unless the optional thermostat is installed.

Here is the proper wiring on the drum switch.
The 2 pole switch for maintenance is optional but suggested to insure a good cutoff for power to the drum switch and motor. If there is a circuit breaker in the line of sight, you may want to disregard the 2 pole switch.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry took so long to get back to you here is the switch but looks like you figured it out. there is a power disconnect between power and the switch

The configuration on the switch was the same as many I have used in the past, so had it on file.

Since you have that disconnect, it will work as the maintenance shutoff for the safety aspect.

So, on the diagram, just ignore the 2 pole switch.

Just connect as shown and all is well.

Any difficulties, just reply back. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where does the common wire get connected? pole 5 on drum switch?

thanks

What is your meaning of "common wire"?
If you mean the neutral side of the 120 volts, NO, it will blow the circuit if connected anywhere on the switch.

I had used my 220 volt original diagram for my beginning point and left a label which I now have removed with the new diagram below. It may have been misleading.

Look at the power from the 2 pole switch in the diagram.
You have 120 volt power .
The neutral wire connects directly to the motor at T1 and T3, so you will have 2 wires under the wire nut--neutral, T1 and T3.

The rest is there in the diagram on their connections to the drum switch.

Hot wire from breaker-#1

T4 and T2- #2

T5-#3

T8-#4

No wire-#5

T9-#6

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade