AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Which of the following is "best practice" for residential wiring? 1.

Which of the following is "best practice" for residential wiring?

1. Run power to the overhead box for a light and then a leg to the switch.

2. Run power to the switch box, then a leg to the overhead light box.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Customer:

Good morning Tommy.

AssuredElectrical :

Running to the overhead light and then down to the switch allows much more flexibility since you can further the circuit from the light box to other rooms or outlets.

AssuredElectrical :

You are more limited with the power to the switch box, because of the capacity of the boxes in terms of cables/wires

AssuredElectrical :

good morning

Customer:

What case would warrant running power to the switch box?

AssuredElectrical :

Only time I do so, is when it is near the end of a circuit. Or if it is remodel work.

AssuredElectrical :

Possibly when you run around the wall catching receptacles, then to the switch and up to the light

Customer:

I've found circuits where the neutral is switched. Can you comment on this?

AssuredElectrical :

That is illegal in the NEC

Customer:

Was it done that way around 1940?

AssuredElectrical :

Many years ago, they did so with Knob n Tube wiring, but now it is illegal and abandoned

AssuredElectrical :

It was because of the difficulty of the wiring, and making the splices in that old knob n tube system

Customer:

That explains it. There is evidence of knob and tube wiring that was replaced with 2 wire BX cable and no ground.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, but today when it is replaced, the changes are supposed to be made to switching the Hot wire.

AssuredElectrical :

Switching the neutral makes one think there is no power to the light and "ahhhhhhhh"

Customer:

I've always switched the hot wire. Are the sta-con crimps still allowed for making ground joints?

AssuredElectrical :

Oh yes, I prefer them over wire nuts because of the quickness and stability

AssuredElectrical :

Wire nuts for the flexibility in the neutrals and hot though. Always twist the wires together before applying the wire nuts

Customer:

Last question, is it code to loop the ground from switch to switch with a single wire in a multi-gang box?

AssuredElectrical :

I prefer adding short pigtails, makes it easier to insert the switches back in the box without the grounds touching any screws

Customer:

Makes sense. Thanks for your answers this morning.

AssuredElectrical :

You are very welcome. glad to assist

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade