AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I changed a light socket in my basement, and when I turned

I changed a light socket in my basement, and when I turned the circuit breaker back on, the filament in the bulb popped. Now the entire circuit is dead. When I flip the breaker, nothing happens: no noise, the breaker does not flip, but there is no power in the circuit. I have removed the new light socket in case it was causing a short and there is still no current to the rest of the circuit. The other items on the circuit are overhead light fixtures in the basement and our furnace. Thanks for any thoughts diagnosing the problem.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you look around the entire basement and see if you have a GFCI receptacle anywhere? It will have 2 small buttons on the face.

Full Size Image

Customer:

I do have one, but it is not on the same circuit.

AssuredElectrical :

Is it in the basement? can you plug something into it and test?

Customer:

Yes, it is in the basement. I plugged a vaccuum into it and it works.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, do you know which breaker tripped?

AssuredElectrical :

or which breaker went to the light you are working on?

Customer:

The breaker never tripped. I turned it off before I changed the socket. When I turned the breaker back to the on position, the bulb burned out and the circuit has been dead since then.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, so do you remember which breaker it was you turned off?

Customer:

Yes, it is a double switch. When I turn it to the on position now, some of the items on it work and some do not. I am guessing that means there is a problem with one of the swtiches but not the other.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, can you turn it off and see if the GFCI in the basement still works?

Customer:

Hang on...

AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer:

when i put it in the off position, the GFCI still works.

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

How many wires in that box you were working with?

AssuredElectrical :

quantity and colors

Customer:

The wiring in this part of my house is very old. House built in 1939. That box has four conduits coming in or out. Three of them have a white and a black wire. One of them has two black wires.

AssuredElectrical :

and how are they all mde up? what wires are connected to what?

Customer:

One black wire from each conduit connects to a bundle of four black. The three white are in a bundle with a black from the conduit that has two blacks.

Customer:

Then, out of each bundle, is a fifth wire that comes out to attach to the socket that was attached to the box.

AssuredElectrical :

Sorry do not understand. You stated 4 conduits. 3 have a white and black, one has 2 blacks

AssuredElectrical :

what is it now?

AssuredElectrical :

you are saying that 4 blacks tie together?

Customer:

Yes, the 4 blacks tie together

Customer:

And the 3 whites tie to the other black.

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

and how did oyu try to connect the light?

Customer:

Each of those bundles of 4 (one 4 blacks, one 3 whites and 1 black) has another wire spliced out of it. Those fifth wires are only 3-4 inches long and I connected the light to those.

AssuredElectrical :

and how much of this was original before adding htis light?

Customer:

All of it.

AssuredElectrical :

is there a switch for this light?

Customer:

There has been a light there since we moved in 14 years ago

Customer:

It is on a pull string

AssuredElectrical :

and what happened?

Customer:

The pull string pulled out of the socket, so we bought a new socket and tried to hook it up the way the old one was.

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

are you able to remove the breaker panel cover safely?

AssuredElectrical :

You say it is on a double breaker, so that is normally on a split circuit. That means that 2 separate circuits share a single neutral (white wire). Many times if that one white wire con=mes loose in the panel, it can put 220 volts on te circuit and blow the bulb. This means we need to verify what wires connect to the breaker, (colors) and see what cable or conduit they enter

AssuredElectrical :

It will let us know if it is a split type circuit and how to deal with the situation.

AssuredElectrical :

did I lose you?

AssuredElectrical :

I do not know what has happened, possibly you are off line or unable to post.

AssuredElectrical :

Please check all your connections and let me know if you can perform the tasks asked.

AssuredElectrical :

I have to leave and will be away from the PC for a while. I am going to ask another expert to watch out and assist you if you come back before I return. He can already be prepared with the information so far. Thanks

Customer:

Sorry for the interruption. I am not comfortable removing the panel cover, so I have called an electrician. Your input has been very, very helpful.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX Tommy has asked me to assist you while he is temporarily away from his computer.

Please do not rate me and rate Tommy upon his reply....Thanks!

1) Let me know if you still require assistance and I'll be more than happy to help.

I can undertsand on the panel cover and removal.
Some customers do and some do not.
Everyone is different when it comes to electricity, and I can certainly understand the situation.
If it was not my profession, I do not know if I would comforatble or not.

Just feel free to come back anytime for any issues. Hope I did at least give an understanding of what the situation is right now.
If not, reply and I will try ad what you need to be sure of the understanding.

Thanks.