Norm
Norm, Master Electrician
Experience:  Registered professional electrical engineer and licensed master electrician.
62872871

the wiring diagram for reversing a 110 v electric motor with

the wiring diagram for reversing a 110 v electric motor with a six pole reversing switch
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Norm replied 1 year ago.

Norm :

Hi, I'm Norm and I'd like to help. I've attached a page from the Square D motor control wiring diagram book that has the diagram for a 6-pole reversing drum switch, which is a universal application, so the diagrams also apply to your Dayton switch. The diagram for your application is Figure 3. This diagram applies to both 240-Volt and 120-Volt connections. When connecting a 120-Volt motor, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the neutral.

Drum Switch
Full Size Image

Norm :

Since terminals 5 and 6 are in the neutral line, they should be wired together externally with a jumper to avoid switching the neutral.

Norm :

I will be away from my computer for a couple of hours, but will check back in at that time.

Customer:

Norm

Customer:

Norm I need to know the connections on the motor end also. My 220 diagram shows the line into the drum switch as the top and bottom Terminal 2 and 6 on the right and nothing on the center post Terminal 4. And out of the drum left side as white lead goes from Terminal 1 to T4 on motor, Green lead goes from Terminal 3 to T8 on the motor Black lead goes from terminal 5 to P1 on motor and lines T235 are taped on motor. I am using a standard three wire lead between the drum switch and motor. The diagram you sent seems to be using four wires between the switch and the motor is that correct ? Can I do this with three wires ?

Norm :

If you send me the model number of the Dayton motor, I can look up the wiring diagram and tell you how to connect it. I'll be back in three or four hours. Thanks.

Customer:

dayton farm duty C faced motor attached to a gear head 1 or 1 1/2 hp

Norm :

Hi. I'm back. Attached is another sketch with the motor terminals identified. I could not find a diagram with motor terminal designations that corresponded to your 240-Volt motor connections. The connections shown here are for a dual-voltage 120/240-Volt motor and are industry standard. It will, in fact, require a four-wire cable between the switch and the motor. To get specific with your motor, I need more information, specifically the Grainger catalog number, which should be something like 2E456 or similar numbering. We can go from there if you like......Norm

Drum Switch and Motor
Full Size Image

Norm, Master Electrician
Experience: Registered professional electrical engineer and licensed master electrician.