I have a Sears Craftsman Garage Door opener model 139.53990D . The motion detecting control console isn't working (the remote controls work fine.I went to take the unit off the wall to see if it needed a battery or was it hard wired and I have to replace the unit??? BUT.. I couldn't find a way to get it off the wall.. I tried prying gently...on all four sides... I tried lifting up, thinking it might be slid over a screw head.I don't want to break it trying to get it off..1) Are these motion detecting control consoles typically run by replaceable battery or are they typically hard wired? 2) How does it come off the wall?Thank you.Tom
Make: Sears Craftsman
see question... explained there.. plus I tried Sears Service... can't speak to a real person... only forced choices that don't get to my question.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXX would be glad to assist.
It is hard wired, doesn't have a battery. Might check the wiring connections to be sure they are not cut,shorted or loose at the wall or at the opener. The sensor could be bad and needs replacing if all wiring is intact.
On the wall console:
2. Remove cover by gently prying at slot in top of thecover with a small flat head screwdriver. Fastenwith 6ABx1-1/4" self-tapping screws (drywallinstallation) or 6-32xl" machine screws (into gangbox) as follows:• Install bottom screw, allowing 1/8" (3 mm) toprotrude above wall surface.• Position bottom of door control on screw headand slide down to secure. Adjust screwfor snug fit.• Drill and install top screw with care to avoidcracking plastic housing. Do not overtighten.• Insert top tabs and snap on cover.
I've triede as you suggested and am having no luck... I think I went a little beyond "gently" and still it won't come off... I was able to pry the top edge about 1/4" away.. but it is still solid
there is also a slot on the sides of the unit... I tried to pry each with no luck...
How hard/how much do I dare pry?
Normally just the screwdriver blade in the slot and twist it, it pops open.
I went back after trying to get it off the wall and thought I'd follow your advice about checking the wiring, seeing as how it is hard wired.. I got up on a short ladder and started looking and LO and Behold... it looks like there are 2 18 gauge or thinner wires that go up into the ceiling (which run back to the wall unit.. through the attic of the garage).. the blue wire is broken and the white wire has signs of being chewed... we have squirrels around, but I'm not aware of them being in our attic... but I'm betting that is what it is... we live in Florida and the garge attic is VERY HOT right now.. so when it cools down this evening, I will make the trip up... splice the wires and see if that fixes it... I have high hopes... I'll let you know...
I went back and used your first advice (seeing as how it is hardwired) and I checked the wiring... and sure enough, it looks like the the wire was chewed clean through on one wire and the plastic coating was nibbled on with theother wire.
Sorry... I've duplicated my answer as somehow I thought it was lost.. and didn't see it show above my chat box... (I needed to scroll down)
no problem. yea the chat window is misleading and hitting the enter key doesn't go down a line but posts. Happens to me all the time.
Check the wires out and hopefully all will be operating. It is possible you may need to run new ones if they have eaten too many places,
In case you do not have the Manual Click HERE for a digital copy. Page 17 has the wall control wiring.
I am on line
I followed your sugestion about checking the wires as I said I would (I had to wait until morning as we live in Florida and the garage attic can be a very hot place as the day moves forward..
anyway... by following your initial advice... (I checked the wires) .. I found that the wires were chewed by apparently squirrels.. I went to the area in the attic that the wires came through the garage ceiling and cleared all the old golf clubs, suitcases, etc that was needed in order to find the wires coming down through the ceiling.. did it and poked the chewed wire down the hole, so I could work from the garage rather than the attic (where there is virtually no room, with a slopping roof, etc), cut stripped and added a short length of wire and "Presto!!" everything worked...
The really frustrating thing was that if I had stayed at the garage level and stuck a finger up in the ceiling hole I could have pulled down the extra wire, giving me enough room to work... instead I went the attic/move everything route... but the problem was solved and I appreciate your advice.. to help the situation for the future, I pushed 4 moth balls (they really smell) up the ceiling hole where the wires came through.. to keep squirrels, etc away from the sires at this spot...
Once again, thanks for all of your help..
Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade