Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

SHould UF cable used outdoors be in Gray PVC conduit if buried

SHould UF cable used outdoors be in Gray PVC conduit if buried less than 18" deep? Is that code or just good practice?
You are corresponding with JOSEPH (The Electrical Doctor) - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Professional Consultant".

I have a couple of questions, where is the line going to be used? Will there be any vehicle traffic or just foot traffic. Why are you using PVC pipe with UF cable? What will this be used for?

**********
Please be patient as I continue to ask questions. Its the only way for me to understand your situation, and offer you the best solution possible.

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:34:08 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The use of UF is for landscape lighting in the back yard. Foot traffic only. We have a pool. flower beds, irrigation system, dog fence wire.

UF wire can be buried directly, you dont need PVC for it. Also, you will want to bury it at least 12".

____________________________________________________________________

**Please Read Before Proceeding**

If you are satisfied and have all your questions answered to your full understanding, please go ahead and rate my answer. Rating my answer tells me that you do not need any further assistance.

If there is any part of my answer that you do not understand, do not rate my answer. At this point you will need to click on "Reply To Expert" so we can continue corresponding until you fully understand.

Keep in mind, when you receive an answer, that does not mean you are finished. The post is only over when you are fully satisfied and completely understand what you need to do.

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:46:46 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just to clarify, is 12" code with GFCI? I thought it was either 18" or 24" without GFCI. I ask because my irrigation guy dug down 3-4" and hit the UF cable. That seems totally inadequate. My electrician is here trying to fix now and I am worried that the whole installation is inadequate. What is the depth recommended for planting beds where the light fixtures are?
You are going to need to put the lights on a gfci, and you will need to bury it at least 12". Where the wire comes out of the ground to connect to the light, it will need to come out in a stub up of conduit into the box where the light will be.

**********
Please Read Before Proceeding

Remember: Please do not rate my answer until all of your questions have been answered to your full understanding. If you still need further assistance or clarification, click on "Reply To Expert"

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:53:47 PM
Thank you for giving me a "Positive" rating on my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question.

If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Friday, July 06, 2012 2:57:36 PM