mrromex, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 40 years of all phases related to residential wiring and remodeling

Hello. My remotes for my garage door opener just stopped working.

Hello. My remotes for my garage door opener just stopped working. One remote is pretty new..only one year old and barely used. Initially, the remote stopped working from inside the garage, but would work from outside when pulling up to the house. Now it doesn't work at all, and I tried reprogramming but it didn't work. The garage door opener works fine when using the wired wall unit. Garage door opener is a Craftsman, Model #139.53664SRT
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mrromex replied 4 years ago.
Hi this John and will try and help you...not to be funny but did you check the batteries inside of the remote...... that would be the first thing since it sounds like it was getting progressively worse
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John,

Yes, I did check the batteries in both remotes and replaced them just in case, even though I had just bought one of the remotes brand new last year, and replaced the batteries in the older remote at the same time, so they both had new batteries as of June of last year and were not even used very much since then.

I also forgot to mention that the wireless keypad just outside of the garage door also does not open the door, even though it lights up when I press the buttons to put the code in.

Expert:  mrromex replied 4 years ago.
That's weird they all stopped at the same time. It sounds like it's a programing issue. Did you check the battery in the wireless on the garage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes....I replaced the battery in the wireless entry pad as well just to make sure.
Expert:  mrromex replied 4 years ago.
sorry for the delay...i am going to look up manual and post back with any info i find
Expert:  mrromex replied 4 years ago.
does your opener have a lock feature on the wall unit that is hard wired......the opener may need to re learn a remote control code.......
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I had tried reprogramming the remotes using the manual, and this is where I'm having problems. After following the procedures using both the wall console (I do have the premium console) and the SRT button on the opener itself, the reprogramming doesn't work. The manual states that the light on the opener will flash once to indicate that the reprogramming was successful, but this doesn't happen. I'm guessing it's a problem with the logic board, but wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing.

Expert:  mrromex replied 4 years ago.
your diagnosis may be correct however i dont understand why just the remotes don't work but if the logic board is shot then the signal is not being read