AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I have Kidde smoke detectors that are hard wired but do not

I have Kidde smoke detectors that are hard wired but do not talk to each other when tested. I know that they have been tested correctly. The model number i12060 are on the main and upper level an at the base of the basement stairs.
Model Firex ADC is in a basement bedroom and just outside the bedroom.
All test as working. All have the little green light. But none will cause the others to go off.
What is work and what do I need to do to correct it?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

First, can you remove one from the ceiling, and verify that there are 3 wires connected to the ceiling box?

Customer:

I cannot right now but we did have someone who did that 1st before he tried anything else. Yes there are 3 wires.

AssuredElectrical :

The detectors have 3 wires, but need to verify that all 3 are connected to a wire in the box.

AssuredElectrical :

If they are not actually connected to a red, then they wont communicate to the others

Customer:

I will need to do that this evening then and get back to you. If I remember correctly, I was told that they do connect to the red wire.

AssuredElectrical :

Also, you have a Firex in the mix. It is normal to have ALL the same to insure no miscommunication. I would disconnect the Firex unit and then test all the others.

AssuredElectrical :

If they work with the Firex disconnected, then you need another Model like the others to install

Customer:

The firex is the main one(s). Only 2 are the KIDDE model . I was told the Firex was a line by Kidde. Is that not so? Could I disconnect the 2 Kidde and check and if they all work assume that they need to be the same model through out the house? I have 9 Firex ADC from the builder installation, all but one on the main and 2nd floor level, with one on the basement level where the other 2 are (and have been added after build).

AssuredElectrical :

I can only say that it is abnormal to have different type smoke detectors on the same line. Instructions usually tell all the information.

AssuredElectrical :

I would disconnect the 2 Kidde units since they are the minority

AssuredElectrical :

And you know they all have fresh batteries?

AssuredElectrical :

That is their communication, batteries.

Customer:

Yes, they all have fresh batteries.

AssuredElectrical :

ok, have to verify,thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Remove the Kidde and test. Then you could remove only one at a time of the ADC and see if that cures the issue. Keep the rest on line as you verify each one. One unit could do something to the communication line. Rare but could happen.

Customer:

So tonight, we should take the 2 kidde and disconnect and test the others. Should I test on each level or just the one level? And to disconnect, should I just take them down, no battery or do I have to do something more? I was told that firex and Kidde were the same as firex is made by kidde (or so Amazon shows it as being same company).

AssuredElectrical :

Manual states these are possible on the same installation: (i12040, i12060, i12080,
1275, 1276, 1285, 1296, PE120, PI2000, KN-COSM-IB, RF-SM-ACDC,
HD135F, KN-COB-IC, KN-COP-IC)

AssuredElectrical :

Check your model numbers to those above.

AssuredElectrical :

HD135F, KN-COB-IC, KN-COP-IC)

Customer:

Would you replace with any particular one? I will need to replace most in the near future for the upper levels as the time is coming . What is the best to use? And affordable as well.

AssuredElectrical :

My opinion is they do a great job with todays technology. Just stay away from the "not so well known companies)

AssuredElectrical :

There have been Imports that are forgeries, so always purchase from a respectable company

Customer:

Also, I wonder if the number given should be acdc instead of adc? If so than the should work together given what you sent me that the manuel stated.

AssuredElectrical :

They may be, that is why I listed the Model numbers, you can verify when you remove them.

AssuredElectrical :

They just twist to remove, then unplug them. Very easy

AssuredElectrical :

10 years is the expected life and change out

AssuredElectrical :

You are holding the test button even after the first one is going off? Have to hold a few more seconds to iniate the others.

AssuredElectrical :

initiate,sorry

Customer:

Consumer reports likes the Kidde Firexand one other that was an i something, perhaps i12060.

Customer:

But it does say that firex is a kidde so they are all the same brand.

AssuredElectrical :

I understand brands are the same. The model numbers will tell.

Customer:

We held for a while to see waht would happen and had someone holding the test button and nanother upsatirs near another unit. Held over 15 seconds

AssuredElectrical :

That was plenty of time

AssuredElectrical :

Try the Kidde 2 unit disconnection, then go to one at a time after if the problem is not resolved

Customer:

So if the model numbers follow what you sent me as compatible, should I still disconnect and try as though they are not complimentary, see what happens and go from there. That would mean that what is published is not correct in that they cannot be a different but compatible unit.

AssuredElectrical :

Read this:

AssuredElectrical :

HERE

AssuredElectrical :

The ADC cannot be used with the I2060

AssuredElectrical :

Page 7

Customer:

Since I will need to replace the Firex in the near future , it sounds like I should go with the Kidde 12060 on the others to match (assuming I can get the detectoors to work when I have only the matching in service.

AssuredElectrical :

I would, that keeps them all the same and I would buy 1 unit for future. I am one of those spare parts guys.

AssuredElectrical :

They will last for years on the shelf and if you lose one, you are ready to change it out.

Customer:

I will try all that you said and hopefully find that it works when matching units. Thanks!

Customer:

How do I get back to you on if it works or not?

AssuredElectrical :

You can bookmark this page and slo when you sign in, it will be listed in your "My Question"

AssuredElectrical :

This page stays in the system for months-months maybe years,lol

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade