Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I want to install six T8 6 bulb fluorescent fixtures in a small

I want to install six T8 6 bulb fluorescent fixtures in a small building. I would like advice on the proper procedure to wire these fixtures when mounted with an on off switch at the beginning of the chain, recommended gauge wire etc.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. I suggest using 12/2 MC cable and either run the circuit to the switch first or run the switch leg to the first fixture in the line. Check the marked amperage on the ballast, total them, multiply by 1.25. This will give you the total load on the circuit. Don't overload the 20 Amp circuit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
actually this is on a 30amp breaker, the wire is run to the location, what I need is a diagram as to how to connect ( actual connections at each fixture) the light fixtures in parallel and tie in the light switch.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
You can't use a 30 Amp circuit the #18 wire in the fixture is considered protected on a 2o Amp breaker, not a 30 Amp. Change the breaker to a 20 Amp. Where is the switch in the circuit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The switch will be located just prior to the six fixtures, I have 14 gauge wire to run thru the conduit to each fixture?? Fixtures are T8 32w six bulb
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
You'll need to put the circuit on a 15 Amp breaker if you have #14 wire. See the sketch below for wiring.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I have a couple drops for outlets in that area can I use the same circuit or another
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
I suggest keeping the lighting and power outlets on separate circuits.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Believe you've answered my concerns, thank you
Just to be sure, you recommend a 15 amp breaker for that circuit, not a 20amp... is that correct... and why is that
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
You said that you have #14 wire and that needs a 15 Amp breaker.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just looked at the circuit, I have 12gauge running from the circuit breaker box to the point that the switch will be installed. Does that change anything, should I go with a different gauge wire then 14 to the fixtures or does all info remain the same
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
Put the circuit on a 15 Amp breaker. The smallest wire determines the size of the breaker.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
excellent, thank you, I'm glad i contacted you
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome.