Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

I have a GFI outlet that will not reset in my Kitchen. I disconnested

Customer Question

I have a GFI outlet that will not reset in my Kitchen. I disconnested the load so that only the main line to the outlet is connected. The GFI will still not reset. I unplugged the refrigerator on the same circuit breaker and still no luck. I can not find any other appliances on this main line and have unplugged everything associated. Still not luck. Could it be there is a "leak" in this main line to ground somewhere?
Any suggestions appreciated
Tom
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH (The Electrical Doctor) - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Professional Consultant".

Can you tell me if you have done anything else to trouble shoot this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello Joeseph

I do not have the wiring diagram for the house so I do not know what else shares the lain line feed. I know the refrigerator does, but I unplugged it and the GFI would still not reset. I did check for power (black to ground voltage is 120vac so power gets to the source connection on the GFI)

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok if you checked the power to the gfci and you have 120v, and you disconnected the wiring off of the load side of the gfci and it still will not work - that leads me to only one conclusion - you have a bad gfci and it will need to be replaced.

Here is a video that I made up that shows you exactly how to change a gfci:

>>Click Here<< ---- How to change a gfci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, I forgot to tell i already replaced the GFI receptical. It was the first thing I did. What if I replace it with a regular outlet (non GFI?)
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
You cannot do that. Did you replace it with a new gfci? Also can you tell me exactly how you wired it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the old unit out, which has been working for 10 years and wired in the new one exactly the same way being carefull to properly ground it, and place the main line and load lines to the proper connections. When that did not work I switched the load and main line connections, still no luck, than I returned the main and load connections to their proper connection as per the markings on the GFI outlet itself with the problem remaining. I am pretty sure it is wired in correctly. As I said lefore, even when I disconnected the load line, and power was at the GFI receptacle to the main line, the device would still not reset
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Heres the problem. When you switched the line and load thinking the problem may have been because it was miswired, could very well have ruined the new gfci. Unfortunately you will need to get yet another gfci and install it the right way the first time. The difference here is that you will only wire up the line side first and test the gfci. If it works with only the line side connected that means the problem will be in one of the other outlets connected to the load side.

Now in order to fix them, you will need to pull each of those outlets out making sure you dont have any neutrals and grounds touching. If you do, you will need to ensure they are separated before re-installing the outlet.

Next if this still does not work, you wil need to acquire a digital volt meter. But we can get into that later if it even comes to that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Joseph

mission accomplished

I found one lamp in my dining room on the same circuit breaker which, when I unplugged it, allowed the circuit preaker to reset

Thank you for your help

Tom

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question.

If my answer has helped you, please remember to leave *positive feedback*. If anything less than positive, please reply here first so I can clarify any other questions you may have.

If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 12:17:00 PM