Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

I have installed Dimplex LC electric baseboard heaters and

Customer Question

I have installed Dimplex LC electric baseboard heaters and at least one of them makes a humming noise when the heat is on and possibly more than one. It's driving me crazy.

Cat No LC4015W31

Model XXXXXXXXXX

VAC 240/208

Watts 1500/1125

Date Code 4611

Connected to a Honeywell RLV4300 Thermostat
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. From your description of the problem, I think that there is a loose cover or that the baseboad isn't securly fastened to the wall. If it were a buzzing caused electricly the breaker would trip. Electrical devices do have some vibration caused by the current and any component being loose would make a noise. Check and see if by pressing on the unit in several locations if the noise reduces or stops. If it does then examine further in that area.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's not vibration or anything like that as the units are very secured to the wall
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Did you do as I instructed, push the cover to see if it had any effect on the noise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have done that in the past and the low dull noise was still there. I'll wait until early AM to try that again when the ambient noise around the place is quieter but I don't think that is the solution.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
It has to be a vibration noise or the unit would trip the breaker with a short. Good Luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not a vibration problem. I phoned Dimplex tecnical support which are the manufacurers of the electric baseboard heaters. He strongly suspects it's the new digital thermostats that were installed as they have had problems with thermostats paired up with some baseboards. The heater that getting the low humming sound from is 1500W and my thermostats are rated to 3000W. I suspect he is right as the problem started when the new thermostats were installed. He suggested bypassing the thermostat to see if it goes away and then installing a 4000W-5000W thermostat.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Very good. Thanks for sharing that with me. Glad you got it resolved.