AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

hello,how do i wire three led downlights from an existing ceiling

Customer Question

hello,how do i wire three led downlights from an existing ceiling rose.as you are probably aware they are not low voltage.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  77Sparky77 replied 2 years ago.

77Sparky77 : Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be happy to help you with your question
77Sparky77 : I will need a little more info on the LED lights. Is this a light kit that is intended for a ceiling fan? Also what is the voltage requirements of the LED lights? What kind of connections do the LED's have? Thanks
Customer :

`hello again,the type of fitting is a GU10 lampholder,it also can be wired for low voltage but i do not want low voltage halogen because i think they have avery short life.That is the reason i decided to go for LEDs.the fitting has three terminals ,live neutral and earth.The bulb i am using is a PAR16 GU10 240v led lamp.

Customer :

sorry i forgot to say this is not a fan kit.i just want to replace an old ceiling rose with three of these LEDs

77Sparky77 :

I see. Is your existing ceiling fan on a 120 volt circuit?

77Sparky77 :

I have seen a few of these lamps and most are rated for 100-240 volts.

77Sparky77 :

Also what brand is this lamp?

Customer :

ansell

77Sparky77 :

Ok, give just a second to look up the specs for this lamp. Thanks

Customer :

the actual LED bulb is aurora

77Sparky77 :

Ok. All you will have to do is connect the live and the white to the 2 live hot wires on the ceiling fan. There may or may not be a place to connect the ground. The 240 volt confused me for a second until I saw that you where from the UK.

77Sparky77 :

If there is a white wire coming from the ceiling fan connect it to the white on the GU10 base.

Customer :

i do not have a ceiling fan sparky,all i want to know is can i distribute the power that is at the ceiling rose of the existing light via a junction box to the three 240v LEDs

77Sparky77 :

Oh. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.. Yes you should be able to do that.

77Sparky77 :

I hope I have helped you.

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.
You can add the 3 pendants to the existing source.
Connecting the new lights to the existing wire that is in the ceiling from the switch now to the ceiling rose.