AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

Need To Wire LED Lights From Existing Light?

Customer Question

How do I wire three LED down lights from an existing ceiling rose?

You are probably aware they are not low voltage.

Category: Electrical
Expert:  77Sparky77 replied 4 years ago.

77Sparky77: Is this a light kit that is intended for a ceiling fan? Also what are the voltage requirements of the LED lights? What kind of connections do the LED's have?

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : The type of fitting is a GU10 lamp holder; it also can be wired for low voltage. I do not want low voltage halogen because I think they have a very short life. That is the reason I decided to go for LEDs. The fitting has three terminals; live neutral and earth. The bulb I am using is a PAR16 GU10 240v led lamp.

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : This is not a fan kit. I just want to replace an old ceiling rose with three of these LEDs.

77Sparky77: Is your existing ceiling fan on a 120 volt circuit? I have seen a few of these lamps and most are rated for 100-240 volts. Also what brand is this lamp?

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : Ansell. The actual LED bulb is aurora

77Sparky77: All you will have to do is connect the live and the white to the 2 live hot wires on the ceiling fan. There may or may not be a place to connect the ground. The 240 volt confused me for a second until I saw that you where from the UK.

77Sparky77: If there is a white wire coming from the ceiling fan, connect it to the white on the GU10 base.

JACUSTOMER-40kt9tut- : I do not have a ceiling fan. Can I distribute the power that is at the ceiling rose of the existing light, via a junction box to the three 240v LEDs?

77Sparky77: Yes you should be able to do that.

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
You can add the 3 pendants to the existing source.
Connecting the new lights to the existing wire that is in the ceiling from the switch, is now to the ceiling rose.