Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

My smoke alarm continues to beep after replacing the battery,

My smoke alarm continues to beep after replacing the battery, and using the keyboard clearner. It even beeps when I turn off circuit breaker.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Do you have several detectors that are hardwired to each other? If so, have you replaced all batteries and cleaned all units?

Customer:

I do have 8 uniits that are hard wired. I have only replaced the battery and cleaned the unit that is beeping.

Jason :

OK, since only one unit is beeping, the problem is most likely in that unit. Considering that you have already replaced the battery and cleaned the unit, your next step is replacement. Make sure you get one that is identical, so you just need to unplug the old and plug in the new. It's not uncommon for these units to fail, due to the various electronic components inside them. I once had to replace a unit or two in a residence several times before we found enough working models to bill the customer for the job.

Jason :

I have now activated the Accept button (no pressure, just info), as I noticed you clicked it earlier.

Customer:

So, when replacing the unit, are you talking about replacing the unit that swivels into the base? Or replacing the base unit as well?

Jason :

Once you twist it and remove it from the holder ring that is screwed to the ceiling (junction box), you will see a wiring harness. Unplug that harness from the back of the unit, and you can leave the mounting ring in place. You will only need to replace the ring if the new unit has had a design change and won't fit the ring. Even if it has, hopefully they kept the part number the same so you won't have any problems finding the right unit, or with compatibility.

Customer:

Why does the unit still beep when I turn off the circuit breaker?

Jason :

Because of the battery backup.

Customer:

OK, I'll try to get a replacement Unit. In the meantime, is there anything that can be done to stop the beeping.

Jason :

With the AC power turned off and the battery removed, the unit would not beep. However, your other units would then be operating solely on battery power. I wouldn't leave it like that for very long. Also, you can just remove that unit and keep AC power on. Again, I'm sure you realize the importance of having working detectors in place.

Customer:

Well that seems to be the Problem. I turn off the circuit breaker, and I remove the battery and the unit on the wall continues to beep. It beeps at the wall even when the unit is far away without a battery.

Jason :

It must be getting battery power from the other units, and I honestly wasn't aware these interconnected smoke detectors were capable of that. It may havea small, onboard power supply that enables it to do that. Or a capacitor that has a stored charge. If it continues to beep after being unplugged, your only recourse would be to wait for any stored charge to dissipate, or move the unit to a place where you can't here it. Again, I have never seen that exact behavior from these units.

Customer:

What's beeping is the wall unit, not the unit that has the battery. So I can move the unit with the battery to never/never land, and the unit on the wall will continue to beep. Driving me crazy.

Jason :

Are you able to post a photo of it? It doesn't sound like you have the system I thought you had.

Jason :

Also, I need to hand this question off, if you are okay with that. I hadn't anticipated it being this complex, and I have an appointment I need to get to.

Customer:

At this point all I want to do is stop the beeping, and I'll get an electrician here Monday. If I turn off the circuit breaker and cut the lines leading to the connecter will that stop the beeping, and will I be safe.

Jason :

It would be okay to leave it that way for as short a time as possible. But I don't really feel comfortable advising you to disable a safety device (albeit one that isn't working though). Turning the breaker off will disable all the others, and that causes me great concern for your safety. They won't be completely disable, because of the batteries. But I still don't feel comfortable with it. If I could see it, I may be able to offer better advice.