Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

Our Hunter ceiling fan has a remote control with a dimmer.

Our Hunter ceiling fan has a remote control with a dimmer. A light bulb burned out and then the remote stopped working though the fan still works. Is there a quick fix? the remote will turn the fan on/off but not the lights. In order to turn the lights on or off we have to flip the light switch on or off. The remote mounts over the light switch. I'm in the middle of a divorce and don't really have a source of income since i'm still in college. But if there's something I can do, I'd really appreciate the help :D
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Are there pull chains on the fan? If there is try switching the light s there and then see if the remote will operate them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike! Thanks for the quick reply. No sir, there are no chains on the fan. Just a little switch that I think reverses the rotation of the fan.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
OK, the reason I asked was to determine whether the fan was a factory remote or an after market install. Not having chains means that the receiver is in the fan body. Unlike the other remote that a connection could fail to cause your problem, the fan working say the connections are good and the receiver is bad. Unfortunately the only thing to do is replace the receiver. It has to be an exact replacement and I'll give you a link to an online supplier.

Ceiling Fan Parts for Casablanca, Hunter, Homestead, all Ceiling Fans
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay! Thank you Mike. I really appreciate it. However, what sort of part am I looking for? I clicked on the link for 'remotes' on the site you gave me, but I don't know exactly what i'm looking for. The remote I have there is 'X' but there isn't a description as far as the interior parts go. The pics below the remotes look like they could possibly be sensors, but as I said there isn't a description for what i'm looking at. I apologize, but can you tell me which one i'm looking for? Granted you aren't here to see the actual part I need but i'd greatly appreciate any help or info. Thanks again!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 years ago.
There are 2 places the receiver could be. Look at the top of the fan motor, through the vents for one of the receivers that are shown as crecent shaped. It would be plastic with wires coming out of it. The scond place t look would be in the section above the light kit. Drop the light and inside the section will be one that looks like the round can shaped receivers. If you know the model number the people at Efans can give you the right one and tell you exactly where it is. The electrical connection are just a multi-wire plug, so replacement is very easy.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience