Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

There is a high pitched buzzing noise coming from my electric

Customer Question

There is a high pitched buzzing noise coming from my electric socket, there is nothing plugged into it. Can you tell me what is causing this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH (The Electrical Doctor) - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Sounds like it could be a loose connection. What you need to do is redo the wires in there and pigtail them. Here is how you do this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

____________________________________________________________________

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:29:41 AM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is only a copper wire, a white wire and a grey wire. I live in an old house. All of the wires are connected, although there is a tiny place on the grey wire that is bare.
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Shut that circuit off at the breaker and tell me if the noise is still present?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already did that and the noise stopped
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
When you say there is a bare spot on the grey wire, what exactly are you saying? Is it affecting the black or white wires in the cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, just looks like a nick in the outer covering
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Do you know where that wire comes from? Meaning do you know what outlet that one your referring to is connected to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The grey line comes from outside the house that leads directly to the box
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Is this line attached to a gfci outlet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what that is......It looks to be directly attached to the box that monitors our electric usage
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible for you to take a picture of this and post it here for me to see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, hang on
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know when your ready to continue. Thanks.

________________________________________________________________________

**Please do not reply to this post unless you have follow up questions, in need of clarification or need futher assistance. When you reply, it locks me out from helping other customers on the site until I reply back to you. Please show others the same consideration you would like for yourself. **

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Joseph - AKA "The Electrical Doctor"