Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

wire size wire do you run for a electric stove

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Hi, can you please state your question? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry

I am installing an electric stove and was wondering what size wire to use
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
What size is the stove, and where will it be located?
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Ok I went back and looked at your other posts and I see you are wiring up your home. So with that being said you will need to run #6 SER copper cable from the panel to the receptacle location. It will need to be on a 50amp double pole breaker. It needs to be four wire in order to conform to current codes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is that the same as 6/3 romex ( this is what a friend told me to use )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Electric Pro replied 2 years ago.
6-3 Romex is the correct size to run as a feed for an electric oven, which you can get at almost any home improvement place.
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Your friend is correct. 6/3 with ground romex is correct. According to the new codes you will need the four wire cable because this is a new installation. Just be sure you use copper, because I have seen some people try and get aluminum cable, and I highly do not recommend that.

Now for your convenience, I have made you a wiring diagram which shows you exactly how to wire this up. In the photo you will see that I use a black and red wire, that is only for illustrative purposes only. In reality both hots will be black. So just keep that in mind.

Here is your diagram:

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:56:23 AM
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Expert:  Inactive replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question.

If my answer has helped you, please remember to leave *positive feedback*. If anything less than positive, please reply here first so I can clarify any other questions you may have.

If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:02:04 AM